Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Possible 30's Buffalo Nickel Mistruck On 1880"S Liberty Nickel

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 756Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1522 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a dateless Buffalo nickel, nothing else.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4519 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is absolutely no indication of what you're suggesting IMO

You're welcome to spend the money to get it checked out but you would be wasting the money
Pillar of the Community
United States
1235 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm just seeing a very well worn Buffalo nickel
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2847 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see any lettering. What is the Liberty nickel's alignment to the "Buffalo" Nickel? If you can let me know how it lines up I can do an overlay. Here's a side by side of the two coins.

"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, never see yet one with no sign of year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
640 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see what you are talking about on the buffalo. Most likely just random contact marks, but could be an imprint of the lettering from another coin that was pressed against it.
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56623 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still looks like a normal dateless Buffalo to me.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinkiller123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it is an 1880 Shield nickel restruck with a 30s Buffalo nickel Yokozuna could you do that overlay for me please
Edited by Coinkiller123
04/07/2021 4:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4836 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I'm just not seeing it. Where are you seeing details of a Shield nickel?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where abouts are you seeing these anomalies? It looks normal to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1235 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Waiting for the overlay.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
United States
3685 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe it is an 1880 Shield nickel restruck with a 30s Buffalo nickel

How would this even occur? A mint employee would have had to intentionally do this which seems unlikely to me. And I don't really see anything out of the ordinary on your coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56623 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much less with the specific date of 1880?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2847 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  12:56 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you think it's front to front or front to back on the strike? I also need to know if you think there is any rotation of strike in degrees (just an estimate) so I know how to place the overlay.

I've got the Photoshop ready, I just need a little more information.

This image would be Front/Front with 0 rotation.

"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Edited by Yokozuna
04/08/2021 03:02 am
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 756Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05