Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Top Ten Coins In Terms Of Demand And Potential Appreciation

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,570Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1237 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yep Type 1, looking for an AU one and they are currently priced over greysheet.

I got mine for less than Greysheet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3516 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got mine for less than Greysheet.

See too much competition, the ones under grey sheet sell quickly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1237 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
See too much competition, the ones under grey sheet sell quickly.

I got lucky. Found a small coin shop online when browsing for a SLQ. Had to send them an email as they didn't take online orders.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3516 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you mind private messaging me the dealer?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1237 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3516 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@numised, You did well! I would have jumped on that SLQ! Great eye appeal and price!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1237 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did see the AU58? Yeah, I didn't have to think about it. Bought it right away.
I feel a bit guilty though, almost like I am stealing it...

Do you see anything that appeals to you? They seem to have a pretty nice selection.
Edited by NumisEd
04/11/2021 9:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3516 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the SLQ is still on the website. It's marked sold, but if you click on it you can see the price. All I can say is

I like the Capped Bust quarter and the 1859 small cent. There are a few others like the MS64 Peace dollar (not that I need it but it's a great price). I'll probably reach out to them at the end of the week for an item.

Thanks again!
Edited by hfjacinto
04/11/2021 10:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you need to make a list of what actually appeals to you rather that someone else's wish list. Lets consider that you could afford a 1792 half disme but then when you wanted to liquidate it you find few people with enough funds to purchase it. Assemble what you can afford at the highest grade you can afford and always look for sleeper coins with low mintages. Can't afford a 1916 quarter, go for a really nice 1927s (second lowest mintage of the series). The '78cc Morgan is nice because of it being the first year CC, but a better choice for rarity would be the 1881cc or 1885cc with the low mintage. Of course the 1893 is another consideration. Collecting for the pleasure you get from the pursuit is the reward and I personally wouldn't consider it as an investment but it sure is rewarding to see a modest return for well selected coins. Grade and eye appeal make all the difference to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1237 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps people should not look at coins as investments in the first place but instead as something to enjoy.
Secondly, owning a valuable collection is cash flow negative as you have pay huge insurance premiums every year just to protect the collection.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
honestly , I have my personal collection that I've labored a lot for and enjoy...The hunt was fun and the resources on the internet wasn't anything like it is today when I assembled it.....but I don't see anything 'wrong' with viewing certain coins as investment...whether wise or not, that remains to be seen. I'm thinking an investment in some coins is probably better than an investment in bullion and offers some additional diversification. Whether a coin appeals to me or not really isn't (or shouldn't be) a factor, as far as what the expected rate of return will be on it. It does seem like key dates are a start, and then where is the price point to maximize return( rhetorically asked) ?
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shug23, In my opinion coins are really not so much of an investment as they can be more of a small savings account with nominal returns. Even with rare date and low mintage coins there are no guarantees. Whether or not a coin appeals to YOU should be a factor. I don't expect to get rich from my meager collection but I enjoy collecting coins that represent birth years of my ancestors, coins with historical significance like from the Civil War, Morgan dollars from the wild west, etc... Of course I look for better dates at times but condition and eye appeal matter most to me. I personally would rather have a blazing MS example of a common date than a worn AG3 example of a rare date but that's just me.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Believe me, I hear what you are saying. Coin collecting is fun and great hobby and can be a bit addictive. I just say I think in theory, there could be a cold , hard, objective, un-passional aspect to it as well, if one wants to go down that path, and if data exists to do any kind of analysis . Just like a stock pick - there are no guarantees....
Pillar of the Community
United States
3516 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well... with stocks you can look EBITA, price per share, dividends, future growth potential... etc.

Coins are a little more subjective, I recently asked my dealer and he said if he had slabbed trade and Seated dollars and Peace they would fly off the shelves he can't keep them in stock. In currency it's Hawaii notes and VF + large notes, they sell as soon as he gets them in. Fastest seller of all us $500 and $1000, he gets a few a year they are always sold same day.

Now this is one dealer in one part of the country, other dealers have other items.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's all about supply, demand, personal risk tolerance, timing, and a little luck thrown in to boot, whether its a stock, a coin, a piece of property, a commodity, or a piece of art
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,570Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05