Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand Coins: Why Is It So?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 3,989Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
Australia
222 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2006  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eric to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a restaurant manager and each night while counting the tills I've found everything from the usual NZ and Fiji coins to Round 1966 fifty cents and other predecimal silvers. The most unusual item I've found being passed off for currency was some kind of football token from the Sydney Morning Herald.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1360 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2006  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snooba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a restaurant manager that must be frustrating, but as a collector - what luck! I wonder what else you may come across?
Valued Member
New Zealand
227 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2006  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grouse12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if you will find much of our new coins in circ in Aus. they are all about the size of a ten cent and the ten is copperish in color
Valued Member
Australia
444 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2006  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNC king to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
now that the new coins have changed you wont have that problem any more
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1360 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2006  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snooba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't wait to see what the new N.Z. coins look and feel like!
Valued Member
Australia
444 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2006  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNC king to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they are smaller and lighter no 5 cent piece any more the 10 cent is a bronze or copper coin the 20 cent is the size of the old 10 cent and the 50 cent is the size of an aussie dollar
Edited by PNC king
09/18/2006 04:55 am
Valued Member
Australia
161 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2006  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add secretsquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest they now look like play money
Pillar of the Community
Australia
560 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2011  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Enlil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I get a lot of them still, mainly 20's and 50's, had some 10 with 1 and 2 dollars. Actually now I have 50 dollars worth.
Valued Member
Australia
465 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2011  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dibby33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got some rolls from the bank yesterday. Opened up the second 20c roll and a NZ coin smiled at me :-) I don't mind finding them - makes noddling a bit more interesting...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3691 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2011  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just look at Barbados and Canadian coins side by side. I guess a common currency "type" is just an accepted kind of payment. Wherever you see a small copper-looking coin people will assume it has 1 cent US in value.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5290 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2011  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't mind finding them - makes noodling a bit more interesting

Wait until you have over 1000 of them, and the Banks won't take them back, unless you can make it so they don't notice they're in there.

Talk about double standards! Give 'em but won't take 'em!
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Valued Member
Australia
465 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2011  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dibby33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol Morning Nancy :-)
I never thought about that. At the rate I find them (I am in Tasmania - so another leg for the coin to filter through) it would take me approx :
1 every 3 rolls
1000 every 3000 rolls
would take me $12,000 of coins to search through...
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5290 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2011  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dibby, do you plan on collecting them? Remember, they are now a redundant species, having been replaced by smaller coins in 2006.

I have heaps of spares if you want to swap for any.

In fact, if anyone is interested in acquiring any NZ coins, I'll swap on a coin for coin basis.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Edited by Nevol
03/17/2011 7:29 pm
Valued Member
Australia
465 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2011  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dibby33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nancy,
I don't plan on collecting them, only when they appear in my change. However, do we ever plan on collecting things - it just kinda happens :-)

I will keep in mind your kind offer though :-)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
877 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2011  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As well as the usual Pacific Island and New Zealand coins (same size and composition as ours) I have seen a few UK (mostly 10P, similar to 20¢), Philippines (2 Piso, 10 sided and similar size to 50¢), US ( State Quarter in 10¢ bag). Probably a few others I don't recall at the moment.

I did find a New Zealand florin in a 20¢ bag recently. It must be about two years since I have struck an Australian florin in a bag of change.

Nancy, if the banks won't take them (I dribble them back in bulk bags) then you will just have to put a few in your purse or pocket each day for small purtchases. No point saving them for a trip to New Zealand or Fiji because you can't use them there any more and, anyway, that has just depreciated their value (relative to AU) by about 30% at current exchange rates.

Jeff
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 3,989Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: