Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Cent, Struck On Split Planchet 1.6g Need Confirmation

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 990Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51790 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But a post strike peel would still leave all the reverse showing the outlines. This opposite is seen, the appearance that it peeled off post strike on the reverse. Thus the weakness of the devices.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic - How'd you acquire it? @coop - gotta ask - what's with the numbers? OH - never mind - Countdown to 50 Grand posts!
Edited by Rothery
04/12/2021 8:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
880 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Chasee007 For this I will not pronounce, Cause?: Only you can determine the parallels lines. Why are there and we see the design behind?. A 300x to 500x magnifier will tell you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6043 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found (and had CCF verified) two split phanchets, one Canadian cent and one U.S. cent, and mine looked very different than this one here. Isn't the idea of "split" is one side basically remains "normal"? I bow to the experts here, as I am certainly am not, I am just trying to figure out why my two looked so different? -Leslie

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
880 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Merclover.: You are wright. the split planchet will come in effect after the milling process. Conclusion: one side is what you describe, and this was one of my reason not to pronounce on this coin. The previous one post is a split planchet how we say. Me I categorize just in the category of planchet defaults.
Edited by silviosi
04/12/2021 9:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18568 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Memorial building looks like an ancient Greek temple in ruins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2171 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking split planchet before strike. Thanks, Doug.
http://www.error-ref.com/split_plan_before/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
880 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Halo1st you are wright. It is before strike. Other split planchet are in the category of the end of the de-crystallization of the roll.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1780 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pretty neat that coin is..
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Pillar of the Community
United States
5638 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your input, it seems most agree with split planchet before strike, I needed that confirmation.
Rothery,bought them on ebay ( there were Two by same seller) other one posted in separate topic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4984 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another split planchet before strike! Very cool, quite scarce errors they are.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51790 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of a reverse I found years ago.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sgtclough to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just me ? ....And NICE find !

Pillar of the Community
United States
2177 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason I am thinking it is a split planchet before the strike is because of the weakness on the obverse.

IMHO, if there was a normal obverse strike then I would say it was a normal planchet when it was struck and then the lamination or struckthrough peeled away.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5638 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Petespockets55,CoinHunter27, thank you for your input..
coop,sgtclough, that's funny.
Edited by Chase007
04/15/2021 08:35 am
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 990Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05