Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1910 One Cent Edwards VII

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,033Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about some pics?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i will put up some photos later. I will show you what I am finding on these coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1746 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple painted large cent but I think it was an experiment or someone just painted over them maybe for jewelry not the mint
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an enameled 1908 Encased Cent. I do not believe that it was done by or for the RCM.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is one painted brass color.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is a full image
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is not paint. It is dirty and toned. The brass colour is also not paint rather it is from cleaning, rubbing or wear that is quite recent.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is what the wrap looks like around the letters. to put that on a coin would be very difficult.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1960NYGiants it looks like paint. the black is impossible to remove.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3621 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not paint. It is just surface chemical reaction with something that has come in contact with the bronze at some time in its life. The "wrap-around" that you talk about on the letters is just more of the same thing, but concentrated into the nooks and crannies where normal handling or cleaning can't touch. Also, some of what you are seeing in the "wrap" is some Die Deterioration so that the numbers or letters aren't crisp and appear to be "melting" at the base. That's not paint or "build-up"; it's how a die that was well-worn was striking the coin. If you look at any Vicky, ED or George large cent that has seen circulation, you will see "gunk" that has collected there in those tight spots. Most collectors call it "Vicky gunk" and it is a mixture of human body oil, dirt, grit, and remnants of whatever was on the hands of anyone who handled it for 50-60 years. Just a person's sweat is alkali enough to change the color of bronze or silver. Just go through hundreds of posts on here to hear people talking about removing the gunk with toothpicks, hawthorn thorns, rose thorns or stiff toothbrushes. As far as the discolorations, now you see why large cent collectors have pondered about cleaning coins or not and what can be used to remove it.
Edited by okiecoiner
04/16/2021 08:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner thank you very much I agree with you. thank you for your support and sharing your knowledge. yes is there anyway to get rid of that gunk on the surface of these coins. okiecoiner my dad was the collector in the family. myself and all my bothers we would pick him up coins everywhere. the one thing he told us all never never clean a coin. thank you okiecoiner. I am in the third book of robs. okiecoiner I want to thank you for this info on these books. rob is incredible writer. the information it really help you to understand. the Vickie's penny and the importance's of how its all part of Canada and England. thank you all for your input.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3621 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are already into the third of Rob's books, you are reading too fast. Read slowly so you understand what's going on. I helped where I could with Rob on his first 3, along with a couple other fellow collectors from an older coin site. In the intros to the books, he mentions and thanked those who helped him and all of them check into the CCF site from time to time. Yes, he is a good writer and an even better historian. Some of the dark staining on the early cents will not come off with anything, since it's a chemical reaction and not a paint or coating. Take a few old worthless coins and start trying things to remove evrything.
Edited by okiecoiner
04/16/2021 8:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A long soak in acetone is all I can suggest. Otherwise, this coin has aged into a most appealing mature color which should not be disturbed.
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with @Coinfrog and @okiecoiner
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a dealer had this 1859 penny up for 99 cents. I purchased it I knew it was in bad shape. why I wanted this coin, it shows where some one has dipped this coin in acid. what I saw was the white color material. I think they my have been trying to see why. the one thing this white material is very tough material.

Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,033Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05