Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 P- LWC Struck Through Debris And Lamination.

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 762Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4362 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None-the-less, nice example of a lamination issue.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is not a struck through, what are all the raised pieces of copper debris?
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4566 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"raised pieces" are parts of the lam. lifting off the surface
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/397813
If you look at this post you will understand why I think it is both.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ABS21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting ...interesting coin for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strike-throughs are incuse, not raised. I agree that it's just a lamination. Still a cool coin!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone looked at the link. From what Coop said, to my understanding, it is struck through and still attached. Please read the other thread. I don't know, I am confused now.
Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1945 in the other thread has small pieces of debris struck into the metal. Notice that they're flush with the surface and are not linear. The lamination on your coin is linear and exists within the coin, not just on the surface. The date is a little harder to tell- I can see how that could be debris, but it seems more likely to me that it's part of the same lamination. The raised bits also seem to be lamination peels; struck-in debris should just fall out rather than fold.
I don't know, I could be wrong.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still, what about the missing elements in line with the lamination. Some seem too deep or does lamination peel that way? Or is it also a bad alloy mix? This is just a quandary for me based on what I have learned thus far. I wish I had the coin made right after this one. Or just before.
Thank you all for your input.
Edited by VestigeWolf
04/21/2021 7:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
854 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some seem too deep or does lamination peel that way? Or is it also a bad alloy mix? This is just a quandary for me

I agree with the majority. It is a delamination (separation linear of the material). The delamination occur in 80% of the time on the begin of the planchet roll. If the delamination it is very thinly can glue on the roll and then will be a inclusion in the planchet given the effect which it is LAMINATION (union of two parts by pression, heat, glue, etc).

The alloy in this case is out of the equation, we can forgot this idea, and I will not discuss here this.

You say missing parts, and probably you confound with the cracking planchet. No, this happened at the end of the roll of the planchet and is really uniform because it is a complete structural separation of the crystals. The missing parts is normal in the cases of delam because the force applied on the strike will make this thin delam to crack.

You do not must be perplex (quandary).
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So all the little pieces around the date are part of the lamination issue and not struck through into the metal?
http://goccf.com/t/397906
Edited by VestigeWolf
04/22/2021 1:37 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51716 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But they struck troughs peel off, they leave leave an incuse mark, just like lamination peel will leave an incuse mark. Not sure which direction the peel is coming off, but through the center is definite. Lamination errors can can peel on one one area of the coin or others. Note this example:

The left side peel off first, the center was assisted to come off and the right side, is still in tact. This coin sold for 5 figures. Why? Got me. I guess I found the right buyer.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand the lamination. (Not the 5 figures). But what about the date? That was my question regarding regarding struck through. I posted this asking if it was both, lamination and struck through.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51716 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Five figures, over $10K. The date is normal. Just 2/3 of the coins obverse was lost due to lamination issues.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was kidding. I know what 5 figures are.
But what about the excess/raised pieces of copper on the date?
Edited by VestigeWolf
04/23/2021 2:02 pm
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 762Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05