Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Rarest US Coin Ever Minted?

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,913Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17483 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1814 half dollar struck in platinum

There are three of those.

How about the 1870 S half dime (unique), the 1870 S three dollar gold (unique but there may be a second in the S mint cornerstone.) Does an 1870 S quarter exist? they put a full set of coins in the cornerstone in 1870 and the quarter is the only one now that doesn't have a known example outside the stone. If they made duplicates of the half dime, Seated dollar and three dollar gold, they almost certainly did so with the quarter as well.

Not as rare as some of the others, but the 1853 O no arrows half dollar, no known mintage but 4 examples are known. One of which just turned up fairly recently. All are worn they did go into circulation.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
05/13/2021 11:56 pm
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say 1873 s no arrows half dollar. 5000 minted and none are known today.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18972 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea what that coin may be.
But one thing that I do know for sure:-
It will be a unique pattern experimental strike.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about the 1870 S half dime (unique), the 1870 S three dollar gold (unique but there may be a second in the S mint cornerstone.) Does an 1870 S quarter exist? they put a full set of coins in the cornerstone in 1870 and the quarter is the only one now that doesn't have a known example outside the stone. If they made duplicates of the half dime, Seated dollar and three dollar gold, they almost certainly did so with the quarter as well.
That is fascinating, another quarter could be out there and unknown to us.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1183 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say the 1964 Peace dollar as well. I would also make a very strong case as to the legality of ownership. Based on mint records, 316,017 were struck beginning on May 12, 1965. In the first week of production Denver Mint Superintendent Fern Miller allowed employees to purchase or exchange for the new dollars, a usual occurrence at the mint. Twelve days later, May 24, the order from President Johnson went out rescinding the order for production. And here's the interesting part. It was at this time that Director Ava Adams sent a letter ahead of her arrival in Denver requesting that all 1964's obtained by mint employees be returned at once. Overseeing the melting operation, and again according to the official mint records, rather than do a physical dollar count, she decided to weigh them instead. Although no legal expert, they were authorized, struck, legal obtained and the mint's own financial books balanced after the fact. It's no different than the 1933 Ten dollar gold, which are legal to possess despite a Presidential Executive Order.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
6376 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's not forget the 1949 double eagle.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15872 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or the 1894-S Barber dime .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
34876 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Daniel Carr's overstrikes are not legal tender, despite the fact that they are overstruck on a genuine coin.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
rather than do a physical dollar count, she decided to weigh them instead.
If they did not count them, then they did not see every date on the surrendered coins either. Therefore, it is possible that at least one 1921-1935 Peace dollar was sacrificed in that melt. Possibly more. Many more. At least one 1964-D Peace dollar is out there!
Forum Dad
United States
21381 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are we not going to restrict this to CIRCULATED business strikes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2469 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is more likely over one 1964 peace out there. I would be the guy not to surrender my money to the mint like that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are tons of 1964 " Peace dollars". All Daniel Carr overstrikes. You can buy one on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184856876900
Pillar of the Community
United States
4031 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they did not count them, then they did not see every date on the surrendered coins either. Therefore, it is possible that at least one 1921-1935 Peace dollar was sacrificed in that melt. Possibly more. Many more. At least one 1964-D Peace dollar is out there!

CORRECT, but considering how the mint has treated people that have coins that haven't been released (see below), I doubt any will ever be seen publicly. Heck if I had one I wouldn't say a word. I wouldn't even post on here to arose suspicion (hence I have none, so if the Mint is following this tread, I don't have any, but check out that jBuck character, he professes too much love for an ugly bald former president )

https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...le-case.html

HENCE why they are the rarest, there are possibly a few out there that no one will ever talk about, hence its like Schrödinger's Cat, both out there and not at the same time
Edited by hfjacinto
06/14/2021 1:00 pm
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I had one, I would not tell. Important word, had. I would have sold on the black market to build the ultimate Ike collection.

Bald is beautiful!
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,913Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05