Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Experience With Royal Mint Collector Services?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 939Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sold one in a higher grade for 25
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Hogarth
That coin you have is in exceptional condition - such a good deal you got
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@saxon wow! I guess The Royal Mint really does overcharge
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
604 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"@Hogarth
That coin you have is in exceptional condition - such a good deal you got"

Not exceptional by any means but certainly ok for the price.
I went back and checked. My winning bid was 30.85.
You're absolutely right, those Royal Mint prices are ridiculous.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 80 I would expect something more like this, though this is a tuppence rather than a penny:

Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PaddyB
Yeah, I wasn't happy with the condition. This would have been way better! Is this yours?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2806 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Royal mints historic coins are a massive rip off. Invest some time by going to a proper coin dealer.

RM does granny bait type stuff, uses flash images, glossy brochures and all the packaging you see on that mess you bought - to get the usual non collector or souvenir collector to buy overpriced rubbish.

Given all the hype and fluff they do even with new issues, they are hardly going to offer fair deals, but appeal to people's laziness and lack of willingness to do some research to sell this stuff. This racket probably works for them well.

Look at their ads and they say stuff like "This Victorian 6d is so old, imagine if Charles Dickens held it and think of all the engineering marvels of Brunel etc" and it has big paintings and photos of random Victorian scenes and what you get is like a 1899 6d that is worn flat!

No better than junk peddlers like Bradford Exchnage, Franklin Mint and all those American type outfits that put 5 worn pennies in a plastic case and call them WW2 souvenirs or a beaten up Nickel from 1912 and says its a Titanic coin.

Stay away from the same continent as these types of things.

This author James Bucki an American has written several articles on coin ripoffs like this plated nickels one

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/gol...ters-4169459

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/wor...ments-768353
This one speaks of the 5 worst coin investments and is essential reading, even though its an American theme, it applies to Britain and the world too.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  02:08 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @hwilkinson, that tuppence is in my collection. I have worked for years building a good collection of British milled coinage - buying bulk lots, sifting through the dross and putting the best in my collection. The left overs and lower grade repeats go to market - I have a stall locally and sell the spares to raise money for more coins.
If you are ever going to be down in the South West, PM me before hand. I am sure I can find you some goodies for your collection!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where about in the West Country paddy
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PaddyB
Definitely! Sounds great! I will do so if I am ever heading to the South West!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane
This does sound bad. The Royal Mint sells some serious expensive historic coins though. Just recently, I noticed they have a 1551 Edward VI Crown: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins...ue-NGC-XF45/

12,000! I'm not sure how they sell their more expensive coins to serious collectors. Do you think these are overpriced as well, such as their historic sovereigns and more rare coins, or they are more fairly priced?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
604 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hwilkinson, all Royal Mint coins, 'historic' or otherwise, are being offered at prices many times greater than actual market value and what any experienced collector would be willing to pay. I would strongly advise you look elsewhere for your coins. Here, for comparison, are a selection of 1551 crowns sold in recent years through London Coin Auctions:https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page...searchtype=1 Your recent disappointing experience will have also taught you that the grade of a coin you're likely to receive from the RM will fall far short of the one they've used for illustration.
Edited by Hogarth
05/05/2021 09:20 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Hogarth, wow, The Royal Mint really is way overpriced for all of their coins. Next time I will purchase from somewhere else.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Saxon - I am in North Devon and I do markets in Barnstaple and South Molton if you (or any other coin collector) are down this way. PM me if you need more info.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
482 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Royal Mint are simply using their Heritage position rather like a Bank does with your money. But just because it says something on the outside doesn't mean the practices on the inside are ethical . TRM are nothing more than greedy exploiters using their massive market place influence to dupe joe public. Do not buy anything from them 9/10 you will lose value on your purchase. Just 1 example of many. Paddington bear silver proof 50p 65 was the buying price for those when they launched. I have seen them @ buy now 14. It's a modern piece of Silver in the thousands and will never be rare. All those gimmicky novel storyline coins unless they hit lucky with collectors are worth the value of the metal and nothing more IMO. I can't wait to hear all the cry babies start hissing and spitting when in a few years that Over hyped un rare 200 kew gardens 50p plummets in value like a stone.

Their historical side is by far the worse. It really is tant amount to fraud. Grossly over graded coins and even more grossly over priced .
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 939Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05