Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your, "Pieces Of The Sea", No Ships No Animal Life.

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,374Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6110 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the 1928 Sesquicentennial of Hawaii's (European) Discovery half dollar works for the theme.

The coin's obverse presents a left-facing profile of Captain James Cook (w/o his ship) along with a very small compass that is shown pointing north. At the border on the obverse is a series of small curves meant to symbolize waves on the sea.

The reverse design includes a scene depicting King Kamehameha I in the foreground atop a hill and under a coconut tree with the waters of the Pacific Ocean rolling up onto the sands of Waikiki Beach in the background - no ships in sight!

1928 Hawaiian (European) Discovery Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

You can learn more about the Hawaiian commemorative coin by checking out:

- 1928 Hawaiian Discovery Sesquicentennial
- 1928 Hawaiian Discovery Sesquicentennial - Revisited
- 1928 Hawaiian Discovery Sesquicentennial - Bank of Hawaii Auction

Other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/26/2021 6:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17844 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1949 Espaņa
50 Centimos.

(Coin # 2)
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the 1928 Sesquicentennial of Hawaii's (European) Discovery half dollar works for the theme... the sands of Waikiki Beach in the background - no ships in sight!
Well done!

Quote:
1949 Espaņa 50 Centimos.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8916 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1927 British halfpenny - sea behind Britannia, no ship or lighthouse!
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1927 British halfpenny - sea behind Britannia, no ship or lighthouse!
But plenty of luster! Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3063 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1958 10 centavos from Portuguese India.
I see a ships wheel and waves.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17844 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1997 Repubblica Italiana.
200 Lire Italian Naval League.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6110 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dorado: Your Italian Naval League coin has an attractive design, and worthy of a CCF post - thanks for sharing it!

I don't think it works, however, for this thread and the "Ships on Coins" thread at the same time. The two threads are meant to focus on different themes - one that includes ships in the design, one that doesn't - a coin has to be one or the other. On this coin, the sailing ship is a rather prominent element within the design and so is a better fit for the "Coins with Ships" thread where you also posted it.

Just my opinion...

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17844 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just my opinion...

.-Your opinions are always welcome!..

(Fair use*)
Edited by Dorado
05/29/2021 11:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6110 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dorado: Do you think yourself clever by trying to insult me with a cartoon from 50 years ago?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17844 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Dorado: Do you think yourself clever by trying to insult me with a cartoon from 50 years ago?

Quote:
Just my opinion...

It is not insult...It is just my opinion too.

We are all welcome to share our own views but we must understand that not all opinions are insults
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples!

If intent can be misinterpreted, please add clarity or refrain from making the comment. A lot can be lost in translation. Please do your best to make the message is clear to an international audience.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11129 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2012 United States America the Beautiful Quarter; Acadia National Park, Maine.

Edited by CelticKnot
05/31/2021 8:31 pm
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Page: of 4
Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,374Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05