Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1929-S Walking Liberty Half For Grading Opinions

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 1,681Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
3220 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, this coin is on its way to PCGS, along with a few other coins. The turnaround time there is currently about 5 to 6 weeks, so it may be awhile before we see how they handle this issue. I'm hoping for the best, but I won't be surprised either way. Thanks everyone for your comments.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59280 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fingers crossed for you!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10326 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
after seeing the close up of the reverse I'm going to recall my details designation. possible MS64 but I'm in at MS63 on this one due to strike and possible luster break on the right obv field which could be from angle/lighting
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2624 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck! Getting my final answer in with all my back and forth antics..... back to my original MS63 with a shot at 64 (easy 64 without the wheelmark), straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1634 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking it will come in at ms-64 but it is ms-63 to me. Nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3220 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time to update this thread. I just got the coin and TrueView pics back from PCGS. Not surprisingly, they noted the machine damage and gave it an unc details grade. I originally thought I might break it out if it didn't straight grade, but now I sort of like it in the holder. Still a great looking coin, and I'd say it would be a 65 without the damage. I'll probably end up selling it at some point, but it will be a hard one to price.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15569 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crack it and send it to Anacs .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
8230 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bummer, I was thinking they wouldn't call that out. But maybe they have spies reading the CCF now!

Really sorry about that, but still think it is worthy of a good price on it, $400-550 at least even for details, this one has good eye appeal, I would sell it raw myself. Good chance others might not even think the area in question is all that bad. That said I wouldn't want to mislead anyone, so maybe just excellent photos and minimal description in an auction.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2624 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
on all counts @westcoin.

If it were me, I'd keep it in the holder until you decide what to do, but if you decide to sell, crack it and ditto what westcoin said.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59280 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shame for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3220 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Crack it and send it to Anacs

I might have considered that if it were a judgement issue, but it's hard to argue that the slight damage isn't there. I'm not going to spend more money moving it from a PCGS details slab to an ANACS details slab...

If I decide to sell it in the future, I guess I'll crack it out and sell it raw with some close up photos and a description of the area in question. At least I have some nice TrueView pics I can use!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59280 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a good decision. Shame, stupendous coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2112 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, leave it in the PCGS slab.

Not all details coins are equal. This is a really decent details coin. On a bourse floor, the eye appeal is evident, and the haggling will be over the price, rather than a pinpoint grade. The slab establishes two key points for sale: the coin is genuine, and the coin is not AU-anything.

The issues at sale will be whether a buyer believes it might straight grade on a resubmission, whether a buyer believes the wrapper damage doesn't detract from eye appeal enough to pass up the coin, and whether a buyer believes the price is fair for the underlying grade and eye appeal.

It's still a nice coin. Sit tight here. It has a market.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3220 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fortcollins, those are good points. I'll leave it in the holder for now anyway, since I'm not in any hurry to sell it. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8230 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think fortcollins brings up very valid points, as many on the bourse floors around the circuit are more than will to play the crack-out game and showing it is a uncirculated coin is most of the battle. So good thinking, you could always try it that way as once it's cracked it's out of the holder for sure. I didn't really think that way and was just making a quick judgment call, if I was the owner, and had my money tied up I'd want as much profit as possible and of course fortcollins way is a much safer and saner way of thinking. I was a little quick to jump on the crack-out band wagon.

The issue being the prices are all over the place from low MS to mid and higher MS grades vs. AU and then add details into the mix it's almost impossible to know where the market will go. Better to search out the one or two collectors/dealers that would fight to own the coin on a potential upgrade while it's in the holder at a MS grade at least.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 4
Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 1,681Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05