Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Coins And Banknotes Of Fiji!

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 176 / Views: 5,172Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
670 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now it makes me wonder if they'll issue a new version for this years Rugby 7 team's win.

Congrats to the fijian team for their 2nd gold medal.

I think this win is deserving of a new note and/or circulation commemorative coin. I am fairly certain the Reserve Bank of Fiji agrees
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There could be, maybe a $14 note this time, although this victory is marred by the 26,000 cases of Covid 19 and the fact 3% of the population now has it.

I feel a focus on this may distract the government from the problem at hand. Bainimarama has been absent lately and his popularity is slipping. Rumours of Opposition Politicians and Journalists being seized by the army are also surfacing too.

Meanwhile my latest additions

This aEF example completes my line up of KGV Fijian Shilling coins

The 1934 Florin, this EF example is another first year piece and now completes my 1st year set of Fijian coins!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3155 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope they do release a coin in Fiji to celebrate this latest win.

Nice additions PrinceTane.

Here are some better photos of the 1983 and 1984 coins that I added recently.

Some examples of the 1983 coins

and some of the 1984 coins.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
07/29/2021 06:51 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look nice - none of that circulation and probably never been to Fiji. straight from Singapore to Australia and hopefully soon - New Zealand!

Fiji winning that medal was great, but I am bit muted given it was at the expense of New Zealand and we are not exactly setting the Olympics alight so far - just 4 medals.

Still Fiji played very well and deserve that win!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
670 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
we [New Zealand] are not exactly setting the Olympics alight so far - just 4 medals.

Well, NZ did have a good day. Now 7 medals, including three gold. Your Men's eight rowing team beat Germany for the gold medal. Congrats.

Very nice coins Steve!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes our rowers turned it around. I think NZ needs to invest more energy and money and them, not the swimmers, they keep getting last!

Steve sent me 2 of his rare 1983/1984 Fijian coin sets. Here's what the whole sets look like.

1983 - these are minted in Singapore!

1984 - with very nice 1c and 2c - thanks Steve.
You may also notice 1984 was the first year of the Reserve Bank of Fiji, before that it was the Central Monetary Authority. This is obvious on notes but not the coins, except on these sets.

Plus the 1980 1 cent FAO design

It had the lowest mintage of all the standard 1 cent Fijian coins.
Edited by Princetane
07/30/2021 03:04 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3155 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to help you out Tane. I didn't take much notice about the change in bank names,
thanks for pointing that out. Your 1c and 2c are better than mine. After struggling
to remove mine from the sets, I wasn't going to do it again, just to swap them out.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
103571 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Steve sent me 2 of his rare 1983/1984 Fijian coin sets. Here's what the whole sets look like.
Fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  01:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time for a worthwhile bump as I have added to my collection of Fiji. First things first - I now have 2 more notes to add to the low value series.

Series D - $2 note, I described it back on Page 11. Here is a mint example!

Fiji - Series D 2007 - $2 note

Obv shows the Queen with coat of arms at right. At left is a Mohar, which is a Girmit (Indian) nose ornament. It shows a gold coin, likely a sovereign, but this coin is similar to the Indian gold Mohur worth 15 Rupees.
Watermark and $2 can be seen next to it. That number and Reserve Bank symbol on Reverse shine up in Ultraviolet light.
Narube signature - size is 130 x 65mm which is smaller than $5 note of same series.

Rev shows happy schoolchildren of various races, mostly Fijian, Indian, Chinese and Polynesian (But not White). Symbol of bank at far right. Also shows National stadium and athletes on it behind are the triangular peaks of "Korobasabasaga" (Said "Core o bussa bussunga") Bark pattern background.

A fun note and used until 2012, when replaced by a coin.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second note I have got is the polymer $5 described on Page 11 too.

Series E $5 2013 - (This example is 2017 or later)

$5 Obv - Shows the Kulawai parrot in multicolour detail, Arms at right, Polymer and watermark clear in plastic window. Kato ni Masima artefact at bottom left. Signed by Fariz Ali (Post 2017). Green colour.

$5 Rev, Similar scenes to Series D $5 note, except it is green and the watermark panel is at right. The Reserve bank signal and ultraviolet 5 inside note. Crested Iguana is green with the Balaka palm and Masiratu Flower is sepia.

Main difference of this note, is the change to Green colour mainly as the $2 note is now no longer used and the new $100 has a Brown yellow colour so as not to confuse it.

Apart from the 2020 $50 anniversary note, this is the only Polymer banknote in regular use in Fiji.

There is at least 2 signatures of it. The 2013 notes have the Whiteside signature, this is the Ali signature used on 2017 and later notes (Ali signed the $7 and $50 anniversary notes).

Next some coin updates
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3155 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the $5 note. :)
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also an update on my Predecimal coins.

Originally I was missing a lot of these base metal ones initially, but 3 lots of cheap buy ins have replenished my supplies as you can see!

Threepences - originally I only had 1950 and 1952. Now I have 1947, 50, 52 and for Elizabeth 1953, 58, 61, 63, 64 and 67! The 67 is particularly nice!

Sixpences - all of these now, 1953, 58, 61, 62 and 65. The last 2 are very nice.

Shillings - Made big progress here too, think its all of them 1957, 58, 61, 62 and 65, although none are UNC, mostly EF or VF
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally the Florins. Bear in mind I only had silver ones back in June. Now I have all of them but the common 1965!

Florins - 1957, 58, 62 and 64. Mostly high VF but fault free examples - Florins got a lot of use in this era.

Coin sizes - Shows the relative size of each denomination

Threepence, Sixpence and on bottom row, Shilling and Florin.
Edited by Princetane
09/06/2021 05:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3155 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions Princetane. :)
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
103571 Posts
Page: of 12
Previous TopicReplies: 176 / Views: 5,172Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05