Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Culling Process That Most Use.

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 922Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greeting Eonce again and many thanks for your feedback
It seems that I am on the right track.With so many Lincoln's to go thru, breaking them down into individual year and researching the known varities for each year ishow I have searching.
After eliminating the non varieties,I the look through the batch for errors and rotation. Which means two times through multiple rolls of each year. Very time consuming. Especially with the 90's and 2000's with so many reverse varieties.
Perhaps the best advise from this inquiry was from "Coop". If it looks wrecked,move on. That will eliminate 75 percent of the coins. Especially post 82. I have many Wheaties that look betterthan most 2020's. Even if they are a little or slot worn. I keep almost all Wheaties and all copper.
Lesson learned, if I wouldn't buy it, toss it. Unless it h
Thanks againappens to be Big Daddy 1955. Iwuld keep parking lot or dryer coin of that one.
Thanks again. Plan to share some finds soon. After I figure out how.
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I keep almost all Wheaties and all copper.

I would KEEP ALL of your copper Cents, at least I do. Even if it is a cull or trashed up copper cent, why throw away one cent that is worth three to four cents? Unless it is an error or a very high mint state zincoln, I cull the zincs and keep ALL the copper.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6777 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
keep ALL the copper

I use to do this until I realised boxes of copper cents where taking over my living space! Being able to melt down copper isn't going to happen anytime soon. Not worth the effort if you ask me.

ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry if I was not to clear. I do keep 100% of the copper.
May change my mind if I find myself running out of room but no worries yet.
My best finds so far are 1983 DDO-001,2000 DDR-32. 1983 SKH-1c-1983-40. Only toname a few.
Thanks again for your support.
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correcting myself again. I do cull really bad Wheat Ears just so others might find them and know that they are still out there. Keeps you searching I believe for that real nice one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3990 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only coins that I have enough to cull are Wheat cents. This is what I did.

I put the best coins in a Dansco album
The 2nd best went into a Whitman folder
I gave majority of 3rd best away
4th best was enough to fill a 1941 to 1975 folder

So I have almost 2 complete sets of wheat cents (only missing the 1909 S VDB in 1 set)

I do have 2 complete sets of 1930 to 1959 and 3 complete sets of 1941-1975

I still gave away probably 300 LWC with non being culls. Any that were below good or I had too many I just released into the wild.

With Indian Head cents I keep the best 2, everything else I give away

Edited by hfjacinto
06/19/2021 8:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Being able to melt down copper isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Just for the record..... I never mentioned anything about melting down copper Cents.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what garages and acetelyln torches are for! Just kidding it ain't worth getting caught.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3034 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why it is not worth getting caught &.
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, melting down copper cents is currently illegal..

Very true..Thus the reason for my post as I felt it was insinuated by another member that this was my intention for telling the OP to save ALL of his copper Cents. I merely made my comment of keeping all of the copper Cents in respect that the Mint will never make copper Cents again. And having a hoard of them would possibly be beneficial to heirs. I guess I should have explained myself in more detail as opposed to having my comment taken completely out of context.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
956 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I see from where come your coins. I think that you has some semi-date or full dates. Look for the errors also, I find more errors in those albums then others places. For the copper, at this moment could not be sell. Till a coin it is a legal tender, any intentionally ablation or intentionally damages is done on them, it is a federal offence. I will wait for the copper because I am sure the mint will start to buy back the coins at metal price. When? No one know.
Edited by silviosi
06/21/2021 12:05 am
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My big thing is touches! If I'm going to touch a coin I want to minimize the number of looks it gets. So when I sort they immediately go into years/mints and then into a drawer organizer such as this
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...gBEBk&adurl=
From there it is about familiarity with year "issues" (Weschler's, VV, CC.) and
then ieach coin is reviewed and in a roll or a 2x2 or album. I'm currently struggling with how much to keep as well. Depending on the numbers, I may fill a book and sell.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I look for errors and then they go into my copper bucket.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53306 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How could they tell if you had melt some copper cents? The tin/zinc present would be the tell tale sign that they were melted cents.(Very small percentage though)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 922Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05