Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Banknote Book Acquired By CDN Publishing

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,080Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The "all or nothing" subscription methods + the now "timed access" rather than offline ownership will cause a loss of membership.

Totally agree.
Edited by redlock
06/22/2021 07:43 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11308 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree too. But a lot of people are getting used to the subscription model in general and it's really not all that new of a concept. For example:

I have (or used to have) "The Lion King" on VHS (probably a "platinum" edition or something marketing suckered me with). Then I bought it on standard def DVD. Then Blu-Ray. Why? because I wanted it in the best format I could own so I could watch it whenever I wanted, forever, with the most up-to-date interviews, featurettes and whatnot.

Now, because techology marches on, I don't have any of that media (maybe the Blu-Ray somewhere), but I do have Disney+ which means I can watch it whenever I want... until I cancel the subscription. Either way it's paying more money for the same content (but possibly upgraded) over and over. How many of you bought the same album on wax, 8-track, cassette, and CD before switching to a subscription like Pandora or Prime? How many buy the physical Red Book annually or at least occasionally?

This seems to me to be very similar. Do I like it? Hell, no. I want the physical media (or at least PDF) that I can peruse any time I please and be able to touch it until *I* decide I'm ready to recyle it or take it to the local Half Price Books.

But do I think it will cause a loss of membership... maybe from folks like us.

United States
42 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luckily for me, I only collected pre-1945 banknotes, so all I need is any old SCWPM. That said, the inability to print and take a few pages of the latest and greatest to a show or meeting is death: how else does one easily take notes, make wishlists, etc on the go?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1425 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I agree too. But a lot of people are getting used to the subscription model in general and it's really not all that new of a concept.

- I think "CelticKnot" makes a couple of salient points re: this format as the next big thing. I remember first hearing about the arrival of TPG(Third Party Grading) like it was yesterday. I wasn't a big fan of getting my notes certified but I have since warmed up to it (even if there's a few ugly "mongrels" dressed up like pure bread show dogs). [I have even certified over 100 of my own collection since ]. When it comes to some of the more pricey notes, a certified note is like having insurance (that someone else verified it to be X grade). It has become commonplace when only about 10-15 years ago we were still grumbling about it. I'm still a bit "old school," I'll admit, & prefer my massive SCWPM hard copy (for now) but down the road I might like the convenience of looking up a note's BV online (of not carting around these 2 huge tomes).

If enough people buy into the CDN banknote subscription format & believe that their catalogue represents more accurate pricing/BV's than it could very well take off. After all, its target audience are dealers & collectors with deep pockets.
Edited by walk2dwater
06/24/2021 7:51 pm
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the two big issues with the new format has been averted, at least for the near future:
> The chapters (countries) are still available in pdf format. They are available to be DOWNLOADED, but only if the subscriber sends an email asking for download capability. I don't know why they didn't just do this for all current subscribers. I have emailed & received an email back announcing my subscriptions were downloadable. I have checked this out and all is well, including printing feature for this important feature. The print and download features are added as a printer logo and down arrow on the right side of the tools line.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@currencyden:

Thanks for the update.
I will check this out later today.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11308 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
> The chapters (countries) are still available in pdf format. They are available to be DOWNLOADED, but only if the subscriber sends an email asking for download capability.

Ah, well that certainly helps. I guess you could pay for a subscription for one month/year/whatever, DL the countries, then cancel until you feel you need a chapter/country or two updated. A little tedious if you want a complete set, but better than nothing.
Edited by CelticKnot
07/08/2021 10:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2021  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
> The chapters (countries) are still available in pdf format. They are available to be DOWNLOADED, but only if the subscriber sends an email asking for download capability.

I wrote an email. Didn't get a response so far.
However, I was able to DL chapters a few hours later. So, a response after all -- or they changed their business model without much telling. Anyway, happy to be able to DL again.
Having said that I did notice that some chapters have not yet been updated even though they are on the ''list of the revisions made to previously published chapters.''
Obviously, need to keep an eye on the situation.
Australia
36 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cats25 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All who posted on this thread
I am very interested to know if all/any of you were new customers that were not subscribing to Content shelf and still had the ability to Download? Or were you existing subscribers that simply had their subscriptions transferred? I was on Owen's review board had been accredited with no fewer than 8 chapters when ill health forced me to stop my subscription. I was thinking of renewing but haven't found one soul yet that is Brand new and still afforded the same rights as existing subscribers.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or were you existing subscribers that simply had their subscriptions transferred?

I was an existing subscriber (Content Shelf) whose subscription was transferred to Greysheet.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
> The chapters (countries) are still available in pdf format. They are available to be DOWNLOADED

Apparently, it is planned that all the revisions made since the sell to GS will be added to GS on September 1st.
Until then, no updates on the existing chapters.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2558 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe they don't want my business. I jump in and out of the hobby... my last catalogs are from 2015, I certainly wouldn't consider taking a subscription but I would make one off purchases every few years.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Important sorting feature has been added to the BNB on Greysheet. As was the case when the online catalog was on Content Shelf, the chapters (countries) can now be sorted by the newest revision.
Greysheet added a Date Revised column that can be sorted for most recently updated chapters. All chapters were set to June 30, 2021 once transferred from Content Shelf to Greysheet.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I downloaded the revisions made since the switch from Content Shelf to Greysheet - there are 40. I saved these as pdf files - very clunky. If you choose save, the file is saved as file.pdf. You must type in the country & do this before you save another file, otherwise you will over-ride the file you just downloaded. I choose open with a pdf reader. I use Foxit Reader, free with some of the features of the full blown Adobe Acrobat. With this method, you browse to your BNB location & click the file to replace.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  02:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I saved these as pdf files - very clunky.

Yes, the process to download as PDF is not made particularly easy.
But at least it's possible again even though it's rather time consuming.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,080Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05