Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Pricing On Ebay And Taxes

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,005Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
Russian Federation
376 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did I understand correctly that $ 1.75 will give me the opportunity to pay all the fees of ebay and paypal + will cover the delivery of$ 1 and I will not remain in the red ?
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here' a very helpful tool for eBay and Paypal Fees.

https://finalfeecalc.com/
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And just like that the calculator changed!

Last night and for as long as I have been using it, it merged PayPal and eBay fees. Now it's separating them as Managed Payments are the new method.

Valued Member
Russian Federation
376 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is "AMOUNT AFTER FEES"? I specified a price of 1.75, PayPal takes $ 0.33 and indicates " AMOUNT AFTER FEES: $0.67"
I'm even more confused.
Edited by Slerk
07/07/2021 09:37 am
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slerk,

I am presuming you do not have an eBay store. So with a cost of $1.10 and .65 to ship the coin, you would need a price of $2.35 to break even. The "free shipping" on eBay is to the buyer. Seller always pays actual shipping charges when he offers "free shipping".
Valued Member
Russian Federation
376 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I realized my mistake. It is necessary to put dots, not commas. But I still didn't understand the value of AMOUNT AFTER FEES
Valued Member
Russian Federation
376 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am presuming you do not have an eBay store. So with a cost of $1.10 and .65 to ship the coin, you would need a price of $2.35 to break even. The "free shipping" on eBay is to the buyer. Seller always pays actual shipping charges when he offers "free shipping"

I know that delivery is never free for the seller.
I also wanted to give some explanations. I will repeat myself. The cost of the coin is 10 cents + 1 dollar delivery. Total cost of the coin including delivery 1.10$
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5067 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did I understand correctly that $ 1.75 will give me the opportunity to pay all the fees of ebay and paypal + will cover the delivery of$ 1 and I will not remain in the red ?

No. I said in that post that if I offer the coin with free shipping, I would need to add the shipping cost. For me, that is $0.65 (including fees).

If delivery costs you $1, and you are rolling this into the price of the item, and your fees are 20%, then you must add $1.20 to break even including your delivery cost.

... and you begin to see why buying and re-selling the same low value item on eBay is a questionable proposition: it is unlikely you can sell at $2.95 (or much more if you actually want to earn something!) the item for which you paid $1.10.

Edited by tdziemia
07/07/2021 4:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget the risk of the customer saying they did not get the item in the package without tracking and lying to you. I chose to spend the extra money on the shipping not to get scammed and lose all the money. Unless it is a low value item. I usually don't use ebay on something with a profit of under $3.
Valued Member
Australia
59 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drowning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Oldfordman

I had that happen a few times, and now in all my listings I include...

Shipping Options:
- Free postage for standard domestic
- $4.50 for registered post (includes signature + tracking)
We recommended you choose registered shipping for your purchase as we do not take responsibility for untracked products lost by Australia Post in transit.

For any coins valued over $50 I ONLY offer postage that includes tracking.
Edited by drowning
07/08/2021 12:21 am
Valued Member
Australia
59 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drowning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For calculating profit, I have a spreadsheet I use.

I have a business account, so my profit calc is:
(LIST PRICE + SHIPPING PRICE) - (((postage cost + packaging)+(ad 5% * List Price) + (coin cost) + ((list price + shipping price)* 12.9%) + $0.33)) * 1.1 for 10% GST)

Definitely recommend setting up a spreadsheet with your profit formula so you can just copy/paste it. Makes pricing much easier and prevents losses.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
376 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drownin Thank you for your help, but I will use the ready-made calculator offered by Singer.

Quote:
... and you begin to see why buying and re-selling the same low value item on eBay is a questionable proposition: it is unlikely you can sell at $2.95 (or much more if you actually want to earn something!) the item for which you paid $1.10.

Sometimes I manage to find good coins on the domestic market that I can resell with a good profit, but more often I just buy coins that in my opinion seem attractive to me and that I myself would like to put in the collection, but alas they turn out to be too cheap and I get almost no profit with it. I don't know yet which category I should delve into in order to have at least a modest income for the purchase of new coins in my collection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5067 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just buy coins that in my opinion seem attractive to me and that I myself would like to put in the collection, but alas they turn out to be too cheap

I've done that a few times, too. But I am only paying $0.20 at my local coin store, so even if I sell it for $0.99 (I never use free shipping) I can break even.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know yet which category I should delve into in order to have at least a modest income for the purchase of new coins in my collection.

As the saying goes, it takes money to make money.

"Modest" is a very broad word. From a western perspective, your best bet is anything Imperial, in my opinion. Coinage up to 1917/8, especially gold (silver, too), I'd imagine could offer you a very good return, especially if graded/certified.

Low-value coins, as many have said, have very low margins for resellers, so the hassle may not be worth the time and few cents made.

Sadly, Russia and China have a reputation as reliable sources for fakes and forgeries, so you might need the third-party grading or a great eBay reputation to overcome that.
Edited by classic_coin
07/09/2021 11:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20394 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad I don't use ebay.
just carl
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,005Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05