Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have I Found A Solid Block Of Silver?

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,222Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very interested to see what XRF results will show.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not look like silver to me.
Valued Member
Canada
255 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This quite educational....I had look up Babbitt metals

variants: or less commonly babbit metal
Definition of babbitt metal
: either of two alloys used for lining bearings:
a: a tin-base alloy
especially : one containing 2 to 8 percent copper and 5 to 15 percent antimony
b: a lead-base alloy containing 1 to 10 percent tin and 10 to 15 percent antimony with or without some arsenic
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, unless you do an XRF you will never know.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1111 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do you have a Geiger counter, I doubt it radio active but that if you want to be sure, does look like some sort of metal mostly likely a 8.5-8.95 g/cm3
Copper Nickel Alloy Properties (Theoretical).

had a quick search and it seems that Monel (Copper Nickel) it probably the most likely, since it looks to be refined metal and not just ore, usually made to resist sea water

where as tin 50% & lead 50% used in electronic Solder Alloy

Edited by ryurazu
07/26/2021 11:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4221 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being a meteorite collector I can say 100% it's not a meteorite.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19139 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a chunk of Haematite to me.

The principal ore of silver is arcanthite, which doesn't look much like the ore sample pictured.
Pure arcanthite has a specific gravity of 7.3 but is normally found in association with other minerals.

Another ore that silver is found in, and commonly mined, is galena, which is a leas/zinc/silver combination. This ore has a cubic metallic appearance, so is does not appear that particular ore.
Edited by sel_69l
07/27/2021 02:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.coincommunity.com/go/link.asp?target=https://www.ebay.com/itm/184946767198?tmp=no4
This is the link to a silver test solution that will also tell you what base metal it is if it is a base metal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually this is the working link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184946767198?tmp=no4
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 906928 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's really an interesting find. It looks like a human made metal to me, but on the off chance it is a mineral, have you thought of performing a streak test or a hardness test?

Traditionally they use a piece of unglazed porcelain tile to scrape the mineral on, and note the color of the streak. Galena, I think is a gray streak, hematite is reddish or reddish brown. Sometimes you can just rub the specimen on a concrete slab or block.

For hardness, for example, can you scratch it with a fingernail? (probably not!) If not, can you scratch with a copper penny? (pre 1982) If not, with a penknife, a piece of glass, a piece of quartz, etc? That might tell you something.

Do you plan to go back and look for more?
Learn More...
United States
105008 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The testing solution helped me identify a spoon that I always thought was silver (metal detecting find) to be made of nickel and lead.
Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did I miss the answer?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9999 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did I miss the answer?

Not yet, no news yet.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
08/10/2021 12:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
633 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will be taking it to find out soon, had an incredibly busy few weeks. I will update when I have, I'm sure it won't be that exciting but you never know.
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,222Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05