Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Found Out My Coin Album Has PVC

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,384Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheGreatOne1115 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Okay, I found a reply in this topic.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Learn More...
United States
106418 Posts
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numisnut1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By coincidence, yesterday, I just opened a box of 1000 brand new 2x2's of various sizes. There certainly is an off gas that is still quite apparent today. Now what might that be if, as you say, the 2x2's aren't PVC?
Learn More...
United States
106418 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it smell like a brand new shower curtain? Because paper products (cardboard, etc.) have their own "new car" smell. As long as it is not "eggy" (sulfur) you should be okay.
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numisnut1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that info. I was relieved to find that the 2x2's don't have the new shower curtain odour. However with this knowledge, I investigated further with my nose and was disappointed to find ALL of my 2x2 binder pages reek of shower curtain. So, now what? I feel I might have to change all these pages. Where can I get these pages with no PVC? Is there such a thing? It seems I have my work cut out for me if I opt to change them all. But I see no other option.
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numisnut1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also might add, that I did remove a few of the coins from some of the 2x2's that had been inserted into the PVC pages for a number of years. There definitely is a gooey film on the coins. So the theory that the PVC is permeating through the 2x2 is certainly valid.
Learn More...
United States
106418 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch.

You may want to rinse those coins in some pure acetone to get rid of the goo and put into new 2x2 holders.

As for pages, here are examples of PVC free variety. Keep in mind they may be a bit stiffer than ones made with PVC. More care is needed with inserting holders.

https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Stora...p/B00AFJNBQQ
https://www.amazon.com/BCW-20-Pocke...p/B002KDNAU2

There are others. The key is to look for "PVC free" or similar on the label or descriptions. If it does not go out of the way to mention it, is should be assumed they are made with PVC.

Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numisnut1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou very much for the info. I checked both links. The first one is not available. The reviews on the second one indicate that they are actually only 10 pocket. You can put 2 2x2's in one pocket. HUH? Back to the drawing board. I found Lighthouse pages. The ad does not provide info on material. I messaged them asking for that. Will wait for an answer. I suspect it's Lighthouse pages I have now.
I really need to throw this question out there. If it has been known for some time now that PVC damages coins then why are people still peddling this stuff?
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So if I do not want this problem, which albums do you recommend?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still use PVC album pages, despite all of their storage problems, for coins that are valued at less than (say) $2 each, especially for copper nickel coins.

For more valuable coins, I never stray away from pages made from either polypropylene or Mylar.
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numisnut1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For more valuable coins, I never stray away from pages made from either polypropylene or Mylar.

OK. Any suggestions where to get these?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My coin pages came either direct from Australian coin dealers, such as Purple Penny (Adelaide), or my LCS in Sydney.
I have also bought a few from dealers at coin shows, along with 2x2's.

I use recycled trade sample catalog 4 ring binders for coin albums. Occasionally, you can be lucky enough to scavenge side of the road domestic junk piles that are to be collected by the local Council.
Not much of a problem for me; I used to scavenge scrap copper and brass as a kid, and that funded my original introduction to coin collecting.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9588 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  04:15 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I still use PVC album pages, despite all of their storage problems, for coins that are valued at less than (say) $2 each, especially for copper nickel coins.

I have some aluminium and stainless steel Italian coins (1 lira to 100 lire) that fall into that category - they have been in PVC pages for years and show no adverse signs. The coins that seem to be badly affected are lustrous copper and brass, silver alloy (especially the 50% alloy British coins of 1920-1946) and for some reason the bronze- and brass-coated steel German minor coins of 1948-1999. The edge on US clad coins also tends to go green... I bought an old coin album from the 1970s at a garage sale about 20 years ago with a mixture of foreign coins in it, and it was interesting how some were affected much worse than others.

There is also a huge variety in album pages - the worst ones I ever came across were some marketed by W H Smiths in the 1980s that a friend of mine bought - the coins discoloured very rapidly and all needed cleaning. (They have since changed their composition and their current pages seem to be PVC-free).
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That has been my experience also,

before I put all of my more valuable coins into either Mylar or polypropylene pages
Learn More...
United States
106418 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The reviews on the second one indicate that they are actually only 10 pocket. You can put 2 2x2's in one pocket.
That is odd. I wonder if they were shipped the wrong pages because the photo and description clearly indicate they have 20 pockets.

Quote:
If it has been known for some time now that PVC damages coins then why are people still peddling this stuff?
Because it is cheaper and they might be okay if you can control the storage environment (low and stable humidity and temperature, no large fluctuations). A stable environment may keep the pages from breaking down. Your results may vary, so I would keep to the good stuff.
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,384Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: