Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 Proof Lincoln Wheat Cent Doubled Die - DDR-007

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,027Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Learn More...
United States
104927 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ignorant neophyte -- on quest to mitigate ignorance -- asks (does NOT challenge) all.

How do you conclude that this proof coin is a doubled die (a concept I've mastered) and not a double strike -- as I am learning is indigenous to creating a proof coin?

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1765 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KCM this is a very obvious example of a DDR the lettering thicker than those on a normal coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KCM
I'm not terribly educated on the subject either, so others can correct me if I'm wrong. The Doubled Die refers to the Die itself being punched twice, with the two punches slightly askew. The Die then only strikes the coin once.

Edit:
Never mind, I think I misunderstood the question.
Edited by Jadey
07/29/2021 4:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2152 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beauty.
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

How do you conclude that this proof coin is a doubled die (a concept I've mastered) and not a double strike

1 - I believe the fact that there are many that are exactly alike, including the marker inside the N of CENT.

2 - Experts have determined it to be the die.

Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Itsmejc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3724 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all!!!

I am now at my hopefully final location for summer bat work. Two weeks and home if all goes well. But currently netting bats in a horrible swamp with gobzillions of mosquitos. Discover Channel makes my line of work look amazing, and sometimes it is, but tonight was tough work.

Back to posting coins when I get the summer work done.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Willburton, @Jadey, @CentStation, thanks for the leg-up on understanding worth having as I proceed.

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7144 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin, bats! Great pickup, defiantly a cheery picker coin!
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking through my half century old -- and older --packet proof sets last January, a few coins were toned. I purchased a couple of dozen plastic proof coin holders back then planning to transfer all proof sets from the original mint cellophane. I've delayed that project. I need a good plan not to cause the damage I seek to avoid.

I find in @tropicalbat's thread an opportunity to -- at the very least, learn more - and perhaps sidestep a now-planned misstep, if some will oblige. I'm not sure posting my issues on @tropicalbat's thread is kosher but, here goes!

I posted a thread: "Assistance, Please, In Understanding Proof 1955 LWC D?r " on 1/25/2021. The feedback was sage and helpful as any who care to see will see. Mine is posted and reachable. Re-posting stuff would be tedium to prospective helpers.

I learned much in January. I gleaned more sage educational guidance from this thread. Hence, I deepened my study of @tropicalbat's coin. Focusing on just the leftmost dot in EPU on both coins, mine and @tropicalbat's, I see a relationship in those obscure devices, however, not a sameness.

A past problem lies in my decision to image mine in-package, making issues harder to diagnose. Ought I proceed to transfer this proof set and image this directly in the process? As you see, tarnishing has not vexed this packet. It's not presently on my list.

That advice on handling just solicited is not nearly as valuable to me as would be any expert insight into the related/unrelated nature of these two coins.

Kevin

Edit inspired by CentStation: http://goccf.com/t/391488#3349662

Edited by Kcm
07/31/2021 4:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I posted a thread: "Assistance, Please, In Understanding Proof 1955 LWC D?r " on 1/25/2021. The feedback was sage and helpful as any who care to see will see. Mine is posted and reachable. Re-posting stuff would be tedium to prospective helpers."

http://goccf.com/t/391488

A link will help with responses, though a moderator should probably split it into its own thread. To touch on the differences in the two coins, you might look to the state &/or stage of the die when the coin was minted. Also, I have found that the photos of markers often make them look more obvious than they actually appear on the coin. If you are looking for the scratch, the red arrow is pointing at what may be the bottom.

Interesting though, did not realize this variety came in proof sets, thanks for the post.

edit: one more interesting thing about this die is that NGC lists it as a tripled-die reverse [VP-001].
https://www.NGCcoin.com/variety-plu...1958/?page=1
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Edited by CentSation
07/31/2021 6:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3724 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  04:04 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked on that and yes, they list it as a TDR. I'll have to look at the coin closer when I get back home. Wexler notes that the EPU shows close tripling, so sounds right.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow a beautiful coin!
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,027Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05