Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020-D Lincoln Penny Something On The Reverse That Looked Strange .

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 738Next Topic Page 2 of 2
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsabertooth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting upon submitting the photo. I'm listed as a new member, yet have been registered user since 2010. Must have to post something to be noticed. Lol;
Learn More...
United States
20945 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
should I delete the post until I get a better camera?

Nope, you can just add new pics to the bottom of the thread and we will take a fresh look at it. At least with the current photos, it does seem to be a die chip though.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you mean to the right of the ribbon, I believe that may be die wear.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like a chip.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3408 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too linear to to be a chip in my opinion. It looks like it continues further down below the ribbon. Need better photos of the area to be sure though.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks , I will go get a better CAM tomorrow .... my cell CAM bites,
As Above, So Below
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if thats a die chip in that 8 above in that pic Jsaber put in then its definitely not a die chip , but as stated need better pictures for you all to see, because I am a newbie when it comes to dies.. double dies.. die chips.. trails etc...
As Above, So Below
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41322 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right of the ribbon looks like either a plating issue or DDD,a worn die issue.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3408 Posts
Learn More...
United States
105008 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54069 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the 1983-D that is a partial broken post that broke off below the fields areas. Thus it is not a chip. The post split off and has fallen off the die. The Shield cent looks like a ridge ring issue. More image of the coin might show it affecting other areas of the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to take more pics hope they are ok , still not great I'mgoing to have to buy a camera or find the right lighting .

As Above, So Below
Edited by Pauley
08/03/2021 02:15 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54069 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well having the right camera, leads to I need a better microscope, that leads to I need better lighting and I need better software. So try to improve the least expensive things first. When you figure out that this is not working, try something else. Sometimes we will get a better image and then think? What did I do different. Search for that answer and you have climb one more stair. You just have to keep trying different things to make what you have work at its maximum for you. Now I see an issue with lighting. Focus is also an issue. Try fixing a magnifier to your setup. (Or if you don't have a setup, that might be where to start. Even little thing like a ramp might be a help.

This is a 2X2 with dark material on it, with a mice or two of cardboard on the open end of the 2X2. Allow the light to bounce from the light onto the coin, into your camera.
My studio for full image shots:
http://goccf.com/t/393517
For micro images I use a scope

Sometimes you have issues with secondary lighting: (unwanted light sources)

You have to think McGuyvier to solve issues when the cash flow is low.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/03/2021 1:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks , Coop , yeah I got to figure something out I wont post anymore pictures until I do So , I apologize to everyone for the bad quality
just found the Penny odder then others I've seen.

As Above , So Below.
As Above, So Below
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsabertooth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. I took the submitter's statement too literally and restricted my view to immediately right of the T in Cent as stated. Now that we have moved over to right of the ribbon, makes more "cents" to me. Not a Die Chip there along the Rim, and if a better pic doesn't reveal a die gouge, it's most likely a striking issue as I note in later pics an out of collar strike potential and probably with a tilt. most likely pushed up the planchet. Also later pics seem to indicate possible clash issue with the roughness in the fields. Taking solid in focus pics is the key. I use a 25 yr old canon pocket camera through my surplus IBM Bausch & Lomb stereo scope lens. Does ok using the zoom to about 12x.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 738Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05