Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1800 Draped Bust Cent For Your Grading Opinions

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 786Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to give it a 40 but I think 35. EAC possibly 30.. Nice coin.
Edited by johnjkedel
08/02/2021 11:12 am
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF30
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1592 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody for your thoughts. I think we are all pretty much in agreement with the grade here.
I personally think that VF30 is possibly a bit of a stretch, but will assign this grade to this coin because of the exceptional surfaces, color, and eye appeal. Better and more vibrant in-hand than the photos convey.

Thank you all!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22811 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with those at VF-30. Great looking coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
998 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm raising my hand with the XF crowd. Winner of a coin!
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Pillar of the Community
United States
8420 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF40 and EAC Grade of VF30/VF25+ net VF30

EDIT: After I wrote up the little post on the next page about the EAC Grading Guide and the other S-205 I am revising my EAC grade up 5 points to VF35+

VF35/VF30+ NET VF35 with original surfaces, no signs of common corrosion or pitting, an excellent example of this Sheldon variety.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
08/03/2021 02:15 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61493 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad EAC is not writing my epitaph.
Edited by Coinfrog
08/02/2021 9:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8075 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! Not really familiar with EAC grading.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to see this coin in hand, as the surface quality stood out to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8420 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  02:10 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
numismatic student: Not really familiar with EAC grading.

Dr. William Sheldon actually is the person responsible for the numerical scale most coin folks know and use today 01 to 70 scale. It first came about in his book Early American Cents and was refined for inclusion in his famous Penny Whimsy book which he attempted to list every variety of early Large Cent and classify them by Sheldon Number - it is a method that is still in use today by numismatists, collectors and Third Party Grading companies.

To better understand the EAC standards of grading it helps to read the following book:

Grading Guide for Early American Copper Coins
by W.R. Eckberg, R.L. Fagaly, D.E. Fuoss and R.J. Williams

It's the first book to be published by the Early American Copper Collectors club (EAC) in 2014. The book covers all aspects of the grading of early copper coins. Profusely illustrated with high quality color photographs, it addresses sharpness and net grading of Half Cents and large cents, and sharpness grading standards of federal and state coppers coined under the Articles of Confederation.

Sharpness standards for half and large cents are given by type with all major types fully illustrated in grades from AG to MS. Where there are varieties within a type that show different wear characteristics (e.g., Chain cents, 1794 Half Cents, Liberty Cap large cents of different dates), all are fully illustrated in grades where their wear characteristics differ from the standard pattern.

The differences between the traditional technical grading standards used in EAC and the less rigorous standards used commercially are illustrated. The differences between technical and market grading are explained.

Additionally, there are sections devoted to the history of grading, proper handling and preservation of early coppers, detection of counterfeits and alterations, and the effects of die states and different varieties on grading.

Finally, there is a section on the pricing of coppers graded by EAC standards as opposed to those graded by commercial standards.

It is usually available from literature and copper coin dealers, such as Kolbe & Fanning or Charles Davis Numismatic Books. If they are out see Pennywise the EAC quarterly journal for a recent issue and look at the classifieds in the rear of the journal for ads, usually there are a few for sale, eBay is another option as is Chris McCawley (EAC Dealer) http://www.earlycents.com

Shawn Yancey wrote a pretty good explanation of EAC grading go here for the link:

https://www.earlycoppercoins.com/Wh...ep_45-1.html

Three factors determine the grade of an early large cent: sharpness (i.e. wear), surface and color. Except in the case of severely pitted or defective (edge dents, scratches, tooling) coins, the grade is determined primarily by how much wear the coin has seen. Surface and color are then considered in the selection of an overall grade.

Initially, the cent is graded strictly for sharpness...The surface and color are then evaluated relative to the sharpness.

When the sharpness of the cent is in hand, one turns to surface and color. In many cases, the surface and color are consistent with the sharpness, and the overall grade is the same as the grade determined by the sharpness alone. If the surface and color are not of the quality sufficient to support the sharpness grade, that grade is lowered one or more steps on the numerical grading scale. Occasionally, the surface and color will be so superb as to raise an otherwise borderline cent to the next higher level. In nearly all such cases, the sharpness was "almost there" to begin with.

The impact of surface and color increases with the sharpness of the cent.

You will often find that Stack's/Bowers and Heritage both will put in an alternate EAC grade opinion on early copper auction lots, this grade is usually done by very experienced EAC members from the staff of both companies they are just an opinion and often times much, much lower than say PCGS would call it, I've seen MS64RB Large Cents called EF40 by EAC standards.

I know Germanicvs is a member of the EAC and has a very good eye for excellent coins without many issues or problems, over time he consistently has shown his quality eye for getting great examples of various Sheldon varieties. This coin is no exception. In fact it's almost a dead ringer for:
https://www.earlycents.com/?product...nt-coin-1c-2 except germanicvs' coin has a much nicer reverse with none of the corrosion present on the coin I linked.

As always I seem to be humbled by germanicvs' excellent coins.

Quote:
Glad EAC is not writing my epitaph.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
08/03/2021 02:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1592 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westcoin, thank you very much for your helpful hints and comments, not to mention your excellent description of what EAC grading is all about. This is extremely useful, also for myself.

I Like the systematic approach of EAC grading, even if the subjective part, namely assessing how to properly deduct for problems and faults gives me still some trouble. When faced with this, I tend to err on the side of conservatism and be on the safe side.

I had no seen the example you linked - as you say, it is very similar to the one in my collection and is a good reference.

Finally, my personal thanks to you for your very kind words!

Pillar of the Community
United States
8075 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks westcoin. Although I have not had time to get steeped in EAC grading, mostly because I don't want to get caught up in those standards and the accompanying prices of these types of coins (I shudder to think what this one costs), I am the proud owner of first editions of Sheldon's "Early American Cents" and "Penny Whimsy" which came out of the EAC Society Library after it was dismantled. The books have stamps from the now defunct EAC Library. I documented that purchase a few years ago in a thread here. http://goccf.com/t/289058
Pillar of the Community
United States
8420 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumismaticStudent, great that you have at least started to acquire a few EAC books, I'd suggest looking for a copy of Walter Husak Catalog Heritage Auction February 13, 2008 Long Beach Sale, The separate catalog is better than the full Long Beach catalog, as it has more in depth description. Walter's collection was nearly complete so almost every Sheldon and Newcomb variety are included, my friend Mark wrote the catalog and has received several accolades and awards as one of the best catalogs ever written possibly, (it's in my top 3 of all time for sure). Another set to get would be the 4 volume Dan Holmes Large Cent collection by Goldberg Auctions. Most of these can be found online for free in PDF format if you look hard, Husack is in the NNP library of auction catalogs.

Germanicvs, thank you for sharing your wonderful collection with us, as always such amazing coins to see. Also you are welcome for the little insight I could give. Glad you get to see that other S-205 Chris has for sale, yes it is close, but yours is still better IMO, which is why I had to upgrade my first guess. Looking forward to see what you call your own example, nice as it is.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4379 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to make a case for EF-40 except for grading inflation. I think the EAC grade of VF-30 is more appropriate for this example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vf35
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 786Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05