Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Morgan And Peace Dollars. Classic Series Or Not?

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,696Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will add one more thing, here. Since the 2021 set is (enormously) easy to get relative to a set of classic Morgans, having a complete set of classic Morgans will clearly remain the gold standard for collections. With that said, even though one can make that set a complete set for another $1,000 or so, I don't think it will be technically complete until the collector actually does. In practice, however, it won't actually matter, as pretty much anyone can get the new Morgans--yet getting a set of old Morgans is a Sisyphean task at best.

In other words, if I was holding a complete set of Morgans as of 2020 , I wouldn't be particularly worried about this question...
Edited by msl2196
08/12/2021 09:40 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With respect to composition, I don't think that is a reason to invalidate a continuation of the series. The Indian cent changed composition of its circulation strikes, as did the Kennedy half dollar, Washington quarter, Lincoln cent, Jefferson nickel and Roosevelt dime as just a few examples.
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are still legal tender. It would be foolish but one could use them as dollars to buy things.
This is true an important to remember. "NCLT" (Non-Circulating Legal Tender) is still legal tender. These are still coins.

Quote:
These are, without question, modern replica pieces.
I disagree with calling them replicas because the negative connotations (forgery, counterfeit) cannot be avoided.
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't forget that the 1921 Morgan dollars were struck from different dies than pre 1921 Morgan dollars.
Not just the dies, the master die had to be created from scratch. All original materials were discarded in 1910.

Quote:
With respect to composition, I don't think that is a reason to invalidate a continuation of the series. The Indian cent changed composition of its circulation strikes, as did the Kennedy half dollar, Washington quarter, Lincoln cent, Jefferson nickel and Roosevelt dime as just a few examples.
Excellent points.

For what it worth, we all know how Wikipedia is the end-all, be-all...
Quote:
The Morgan dollar is a United States dollar coin minted from 1878 to 1904, in 1921, and as a special non-circulating coin in 2021.

Quote:
The Peace dollar is a United States dollar coin minted from 1921 to 1928, in 1934 and 1935, and as a commemorative in 2021.
But of course, your collection, your rules.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6423 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same size and design so to me an addition to the sets. I got a "D" Morgan to put into my date set. It will go into my Mint mark hole and serve as the new date too without replacing the album. This strategy could go for the "S" and "P" Morgan's too. As for the Peace $ I'm at a loss as to how to incorporate it into my album.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1763 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The answer might just depend on when you're alive. Right now most people might view them as part of a different series, but 300 years from now will people view it as part of the same series? I'd bet that people would view them as part of the same series.

Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Kenndy Half Dollar hasn't been made for circulation for 18 years now, yet we still collect them and put them in our albums. The same for all "S" mint coins since the 1970's, not made for circulation, yet we insist on albums which hold the "S" coins. This argument is not consistent. Therefore they can be considered a continuation of the old series.
Edited by EDM
08/12/2021 11:53 am
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The answer might just depend on when you're alive. Right now most people might view them as part of a different series, but 300 years from now will people view it as part of the same series? I'd bet that people would view them as part of the same series.
True. Time changes our perspectives. Just like our opinions on classic designs are more favourable than those of many who were around when they circulated.
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Kenndy Half Dollar hasn't been made for circulation for 18 years now, yet we still collect them and put them in our albums.
Yes, we do, and our albums are heavy! I have my set split into multiple four-page Dansco albums (my original bout in 1984 Kennedy half dollar Dansco only has four pages, hence the precedent). I cannot imagine those with an eight or nine page Dansco full of half dollars!

But I digress... this is about the Morgan and Peace dollars.
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to agree with EDM. I could be convinced however that they are just commeratives. Don't forget several commerative series went multiple years and mints. I liked the issues this year and will be sucked in next year if they are proof or enhanced or ?
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I liked the issues this year and will be sucked in next year if they are proof or enhanced or ?
Next year? Next year!?
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Next year? Next year!?

One certainty is I will not be spending nearly as much $ with the US Mint next year.
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will add one more thing, here. Since the 2021 set is (enormously) easy to get relative to a set of classic Morgans, having a complete set of classic Morgans will clearly remain the gold standard for collections. With that said, even though one can make that set a complete set for another $1,000 or so, I don't think it will be technically complete until the collector actually does. In practice, however, it won't actually matter, as pretty much anyone can get the new Morgans--yet getting a set of old Morgans is a Sisyphean task at best.

You made me look up the word Sisyphean. I don't know if I would phrase the 2021 set enormously easy to get. Only the 1893-S, and 1894 Morgans have lower mintages that the 2021 Morgans. Meaning there are more older Morgans out there for collections than the 2021 Morgans. I have read many posts of people who did not get a complete 2021 set and probably not get a complete set because of cost.

I agree that a classic Morgan set is attainable by throwing enough money at it. I would argue it would take more than 1K. The dilemma is most of us don't have the money to throw at it.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree that a classic Morgan set is attainable by throwing enough money at it. I would argue it would take more than 1K. The dilemma is most of us don't have the money to throw at it.

I meant here that you can probably get just the 2021 set for somewhere on the order of $1,000 (to $1,500ish). A classic set is going to be much more expensive, even in melt value alone.

The point I was making here is that buying a new Morgan set (even on the secondary market) would be essentially pocket change for anyone who can afford a complete set of old Morgans. (I, alas, am not one of those people... )

So, in other words, if someone did actually have a set of Morgans that was complete before these new ones were released (i.e. the group that theoretically benefits most from the community and/or grading companies deciding "no continuation"), it probably wouldn't break that person's bank account to buy 5 more new coins in order to keep the set complete.
Edited by msl2196
08/12/2021 11:29 pm
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,696Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: