Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Morgan! Can Anyone Identify The VAM?

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,529Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10048 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what you've posted so far your coin should match up with all 3 die markers listed in step 1 of this link including the B not broken. You will need to scroll down and try and match your coin to one of the VAM listings. Pay attention to the area under the eagle's right wing that is referred to "Engraved Wing Feather". This is a good die marker to try and match to first or at least eliminate listings that obviously are not a match.
I honestly cannot see enough details in your posted images to do this.
http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...led_shaped_r
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
09/08/2021 10:31 am
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that the eagle's right wing, near the leg, may be engraved. However, it's very faint. I had to find a couple of images of a VAM 1 for comparison...it was a faint, thin line starting where the wing joins the body and running almost all the way down the leg.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10048 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your choices based on the combination of markers you have are VAMs 7, 23, 35, 37, 39, 46, 47, 52 and 69.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great...that narrows it down to 9. So I'm thinking about other markers...maybe the word Liberty? One description said a slant down, or doubling? I'm a little confused by both descriptions but maybe comparing to a VAM 1 like before might help. Any other thoughts?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10048 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any other thoughts?

This...
Quote:
Pay attention to the area under the eagle's right wing that is referred to "Engraved Wing Feather". This is a good die marker to try and match to first or at least eliminate listings that obviously are not a match.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm LEANING toward VAM 7 but I'm not positive. I'm not sure if I'm seeing a down slant or doubling here in LIBERTY.

Edited by MissyLynn
09/08/2021 10:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  03:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so I went through that list of VAMs and rules out several of them based on what I DON'T have (ie, worm eye scratch, wild eye, et cetera). Using that I narrowed it down to 3...VAM 7, VAM 35, VAM 69. Then I set my loupe to 50x. That narrowed it down a bit, I think. Her wheat leaves really pop out. The kernels do too. I THINK I see a spot in her ear but it looks like there is some wear in the area. I also see a faint line in the area. The word liberty...something's going on with that too. Looks like it may be bolder toward the front (doubling?). The eagle's right wing is engraved where it joins the body. I can barely see it at 30x but I can REALLY see it at 50x. That being said, I'm still not confident in my ability to do this but I'm saying the CLOSEST match is VAM 7. Hopefully I can get to know my camera a little better and get some better pics up.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10048 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper images would certainly help.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4128 Posts
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK so my phone broke and I had to get a new one. This one is a Samsung a51 and it has a macro lens. I decided to play with it and give it a try. Let me know if this helps.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's that long thin line. You're not gonna hurt my feelings...I'm learning the phone...

Edited by MissyLynn
09/17/2021 12:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10048 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm kind of leaning towards VAM-35.http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...878-S_VAM-35
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're right. I looked at it again and this time I compared E Pluribus Unum to United States of America. I see the doubling now. Also those left stars...let me see if I can get some left stars and right stars...however I'm not seeing the die chip near where the head, neck and ear join. However I did see the left side of Liberty doubled too.

Edited by MissyLynn
09/18/2021 01:25 am
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found some of these little Quickslab things...I decided to put my Morgan in one of these. If I decide to have it graded later...fine, we can still do that...but I kinda like the way she looks in black.

Learn More...
United States
106422 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found some of these little Quickslab things...I decided to put my Morgan in one of these.
Not a bad idea. I have a few extra Ikes in them.
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,529Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: