Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1997 Cent, Is There Supposed To Be 2 Fonts For The 9 S?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 749Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover, this is all I have right now, so if I'm going to post an up close shot it must be a screen shot at the moment, at least untill I get a new charger for my computer.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41853 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make and model of your computer?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john1,I'm not actually sure I'll have to get it out of storage(my closet) lol. It's an older laptop., Hopefully this scope is compatible with it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41853 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hopefully this scope is compatible with it.

Your lap top is where you would insert the memory card that you need to use in the scope.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooo ya it came with some really tiny disc, I'm not sure but I assume the program for the scope is on it, I'm not sure my laptop has a thing for tiny discs, it's like 33 inch disc or something
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, I was just thinking about what you said about the grease filled devices, even after the die was wiped and grease pushed to one side of the device, in that situation wouldn't the grease still not fully get rid of part of the device? With the amount of pressure in a strike wouldn't the grease get spread out once the strike happened? It seems weird that grease would only narrow the devices but not effect them in any other way, though this does seem to be the only possibility.

I'm picturing a Grease Filled Die on these devices, wouldn't the grease still effect the area around the device? I imagine grease would not completely just slim the devices and not effect them fully, or at least iv never seen an example posted. Have you ever seen this sort of thing before? I only ask because it's really noticable but I can't find info in the topic.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If possible @coop could you add an overlay image for the coin? If the devices are narrowed due to Grease Fill the back of the 9 should be in the correct place and ony the front was narrowed or vice versa. But if it's grease on one side both sides of the 9 and 7 should not be effected correct?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54561 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die may have had some Feeder Finger Damage?

Overlays:

Or the normal polishing would also affect that area of the die reducing all the digits?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, overlay was the wrong request, I don't think there is Feeder Finger Damage, I meant is it possible to take my image of where the devices are reduces on overlay the same coin but how it should look. Though thinking about it now that's kind of a lot to ask:p the devices just look so smooth and precise, this could be a semi common thing maybe I just have yet to see a cent with smaller(or larger) devices that was not either MD DD or DDD. So this really jumped out to me. A partially Grease Fill on the devices I wouldn't imagine the result to look like this. That's kind of why I questioned font. I also still don't know what going on with what appears to be a little bit if extra metal under the curve of the first 9. But I'm nothing if an expert compared to someone like you coop, or many others on here. Compared to you all I'm just a child numismatic:p
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54561 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The purpose of the overlays is to show die clashes, but also shows the opposite sides of the coin for coin damage pressing through the opposite side of the coin. Also if a polishing took place, how it might affect the devices. Seeing then on one area helps us see the full picture.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
2598 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with JimmyD about MD.

The shadowing of the left of the legs of the 97 is what I'm seeing as MD.

Without a whole coin shot, it's difficult to tell the die state.
(Overpolishing is a possibility to remove damage or maintain the dies, but at some point, the mint seems to have given up on polishing dies and just changed them out. It's probably more cost-effective with today's production techniques.)

EDIT: I'm seeing what appears to be radial die flow lines coming off the tail of the 7 towards the rim so I don't think it's been overpolished.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
09/20/2021 07:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is some full shots as requested

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54561 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the last image, all the obverse devices look thinned from a die polishing.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, I assume that just because it's a natural light cellphone picture. But we already know the second 9 and 7 in the date at thinner then they should be but the 2 and 9 look normal, should I post other imagest of the coins devices?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54561 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking now at reverse image, it's showing the same as the obverse. Just reduced devices because of field reduction. Not a premium for the coin.
Richard S. Cooper

Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 749Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: