Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Collection Of Coins From Portugal

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 171 / Views: 3,519Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today you get 2 coins, although both are the same

I lived in Portugal till 1976. The town I came from was poor but really close to the beach.

I remember going to the local store and picking up some lemon and orange hard candies. There 5 centavos each. I ended up picking up 9 candies and gave the clerk a 50 centavos coin. As there wasn't usually change given back for such a small amount I was surprised when I got back a large 5 Centavos. The clerk actually had a few in his till. Considering I had never seen one, I ended up saving it.

About 15 years ago, my parents tore down the old house and built a new one as the town had changed from poor to pretty upscale as the Europeans had found it and had been building homes for the last few years and currently are around 50% of the population.

A few years ago my mom found the stash of coins I had saved up. Most were in poor shape, including the 5 centavos so when I got them home they went into a deep bath of acetone, water, xylene and several other items. After a few weeks I was able to remove all the contaminates on the coin but it has the copper cleaned look. So first you get the coin I was given as change when I was 6 years old.

As I wanted a non details one also for the main collection, I recently got the below.

This one version was only a 2 year issue, 5 centavos were produced in a different version until 1927.

Issuer: Portugal
Period: First Republic (1910-1926)
Type: Standard circulation coin
Years: 1920-1922
Value: 5 Centavos (0.05 PTE)
Currency: Escudo (1911-2001)
Composition: Bronze
Weight: 8 g
Diameter: 25 mm
Shape: Round
Technique: Milled
Orientation: Medal alignment
Demonetized: Yes
References: KM# 569
Mintage (1921):5,916,000
Edited by hfjacinto
11/09/2021 08:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
703 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3330 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition hfjacinto.
You are making me want to add some more to my collection.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly this is the last coin I have (well I have modern/common stuff in an album, but we'll skip those for now). And its a DOOZY. Like I posted before the first republic had grandiose hopes for the Escudo and the first batch of coins lived up to the hype, even the Centavos had value.

Today you get the 1916 50 Centavos. A beautiful 50 cent sized silver coin.

Period: First Republic (1910-1926)
Type: Standard circulation coin
Years: 1913-1916
Value: 20 Centavos (0.2 PTE)
Currency: Escudo (1911-2001)
Composition: Silver (.835)
Weight: 5 g
Diameter: 24 mm
Orientation: Medal alignment
References: KM# 562
Mintage (1916): 706,000
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured why not post one more time. This is the set I took pictures of.

Edited by hfjacinto
11/10/2021 08:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only other coin I want is the 1914 commemorative of the establishment of the Republic. I found a few on ebay, but I might get it slabbed as these are frequently cleaned. Other than that, there are a few silver modern commemoratives that I like and while I can find them on eBay, I'm looking locally. My local coin shop also has a silver Real that I'll get but first is the 1914 1 Escudo. Even though I paid off the Morgan and Peace, I'm still doing the IHC and 7070, so these coins may wait.

Thank you all for following the journey and I hope that you found coins you like and that you learned a little about Portugal, a small country of 10,000,000 that at one time had the largest colonial empire in Europe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great set!
I think I missed the close-up of the 1924 "Seated Liberty" coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great set!
I think I missed the close-up of the 1924 "Seated Liberty" coin.

Thanks Mr. Numis that works in Education

Its 1953 and it is the nicest of all the coins. Here it is again.

Edited by hfjacinto
11/10/2021 08:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, not that one. I mean the 1924 1 Escudo. Has a brown color. Fourth row, third column from the left in the table.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No, not that one. I mean the 1924 1 Escudo. Has a brown color. Fourth row, third column from the left in the table.

This one:

Its aluminum and bronze.
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I figured why not post one more time. This is the set I took pictures of.
Looking good!

Thank you for the show.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My buddy Pete at the local coin shop calls when he gets new coins from Portugal and this Friday he called me. He had gotten 2 but 1 was the Prince Henry 20 escudos and I really don't need 2 (but I have little self control, so we never know), but he did have something that I don't have and has a pretty interesting history.

And you know me, history and cool coin and I'm in. Today's coin is one of the last issued by the monarchy and its also a commemorative.

The obverse of the coin features Manuel II. Dom Manuel II (15 November 1889 - 2 July 1932), "the Patriot" or "the Unfortunate", was the last King of Portugal, ascending the throne after the assassination of his father, King Carlos I, and his elder brother, Luís Filipe, the Prince Royal. Before ascending the throne he held the title of Duke of Beja. His reign ended with the fall of the monarchy during the 5 October 1910 revolution, and Manuel lived the rest of his life in exile in Twickenham, Middlesex, England.

The reverse celebrates Marques de Pombal, Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal and 1st Count of Oeiras (13 May 1699 - 8 May 1782), known as the Marquis of Pombal, was a Portuguese statesman and diplomat who effectively ruled the Portuguese Empire from 1750 to 1777 as chief minister to King Joseph I. A liberal reformer influenced by the Age of Enlightenment, Pombal led Portugal's recovery from the 1755 Lisbon earthquake and modernized the kingdom's administrative, economic, and ecclesiastical institutions. During his lengthy ministerial career, Pombal accumulated and exercised autocratic power.

Despite entrenched opposition from the hereditary Portuguese nobility, Pombal gained Joseph's confidence and, by 1755, was the king's de facto chief minister. Pombal secured his preeminence through his decisive management of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history; he maintained public order, organized relief efforts, and supervised the capital's reconstruction in the Pombaline architectural style.

The coin:

King: Manuel II (1908-1910)
Type: Circulating commemorative coin
Year: 1910
Value: 500 Réis (500)
Currency: Real (decimalized, 1835-1910)
Composition: Silver (.835)
Weight: 12.50 g
Diameter: 30 mm
Orientation: Coin alignment
References: KM# 557, Gomes# E2 05
Mintage: 400,000
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3330 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice coin hfjacinto. Loving the design.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely design, and seemingly a very young king. Reminds me a bit of "our" young Wilhelmina who is featured on Dutch coins at the end of the 19th Century.
Page: of 12
Previous TopicReplies: 171 / Views: 3,519Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: