Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins Or Medals With Industrial Imagery

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 1,284Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
106605 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here we have a nice big British two-penny copper token issued 1811-12 by John Henrickson's Lemmonsly Worsted Mill located in Lichfield, Staffordshire.

Quote:
This is a Russian 1924 50 kopeks (90% silver) which shows a Russian worker being 'industrious' with his talents.
Nice examples!
Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks as if I should post my Condor token from 1793...
Iohn Wilkinson, iron master, low grade, so it probably circulated for some time.

And my 600'th
Edited by mrwhatisit
10/09/2021 12:07 pm
Learn More...
United States
106605 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks as if I should post my Condor token from 1793... Iohn Wilkinson, iron master, low grade, so it probably circulated for some time.
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This 19th-century token depicting a man working a loom had several predecessors using very similar imagery among the Conders issued 15-20 years earlier in towns like Norwich, Rochdale, and Colchester, to cite just a few examples. This is how Withers opens the description of this penny: "Jackson & Lister were linen manufacturers and cotton bleachers."

Barnsley, Yorkshire: Withers 12, Davis 75 (34mm, 22g).

Here's a 19th-century illustration of a simlar loom in action:

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6773 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mrwhatisit: Interesting design on the coin from Russia - too bad a previous owner subjected it to such a harsh cleaning!

Also, Congrats! on #600! Did you always imagine that you'd stick around long enough to make the many posts? Glad you're here.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6773 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@daltonista: Very cool! It's always nice to see tokens from the 1800s that remain in such an attractive state of preservation.

I have a few modern silver medals with a textile industry theme, I'll have to get them out and post a few images.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems, I didn't know if I was going to stick around this long, but I like helping folk around here if it is something I can help answer, or just to help add to the general body of knowledge. I didn't like the cleaning on that Russian coin but the price was right and it was a coin from there I didn't have yet. That condor token was from my dads former coin collection when he was into coins some 40 years ago, and he held onto them for a long time until I inherited them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18714 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1944 S Philippines.
Five centavos.U.S. Administration.

Learn More...
United States
106605 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18714 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1966 Philippines.
10 centavos.

Learn More...
United States
106605 Posts
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Devonshire, Tavistock, 1d 1811. Withers 1130, Davis 23 (35mm, 23.8g).

The outdoorsy scene depicted on the reverse of this British 1811 penny token is one of the many Devon Mines, located in Tavistock, noted for their production of arsenic, copper, and primarily tin dating back to the early 1200's. The "Cornish mining engine" shown here was typical for the Devonshire area; in Tavistock it employed coal-fired steam-power (note the smokestack) to pump water out of the mines and to keep buckets moving up and down the mineshafts. For both tasks, that extraction process relied on the tower-and-chain arrangement shown toward the right on this token.

The photo below shows a well-preserved 19th-century mining engine of this type, now maintained by one of Cornwall's mining museums.

As for the Tavistock penny's obverse, the plumes of the Prince of Wales were a common device on the tokens of 1811-1820, basically signifying, honoring, and perhaps ingratiating the Prince Regent (and future Monarch) George IV, who was then governing the Empire through the administrative talents of competent ministers while the long reign -- and life -- of his father King George III wound down in a spiral of depression and illness.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18714 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1931 R Russia.
20 Kopeks.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18714 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2021  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968 A German Democratic Republic (Germany)
1 Pfennig.

Learn More...
United States
106605 Posts
Page: of 4
Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 1,284Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: