Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 State Quarter- South Carolina; Anything Special?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 848Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44685 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental damage.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
23271 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wrekk mentioned about the weight. That would be the first thing that I would check. If it is normal, then this is definitely surface staining due to chemical/environmental exposure.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does not quite look like a missing clad layer

Good question about asking for the weight. Not to say it can't happen because it has, but most missing clad layers only affect one side of a clad coin. Both clad layers missing, meaning basically a solid copper planchet, are extremely rare. If that is the case here, this quarter will be considerably underweight. In addition, if memory serves me correctly, both missing clad layers would result in a weak strike on both obverse and reverse but the op's coin looks well struck. I'm still leaning toward ED though.
Edited by Bumpkin
10/10/2021 1:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2907 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bumpkin,thanks for the lesson. I was un aware that it usually only effects on side, though it makes sense after seeing clam shell coins, if the clam shell fully comes off it would be missing clad on one side of the coin.i don't think I personally have seen an example of missing all clad though I am sure they do exist.

Based on the colour I'm leaning towards metal detector find, but to the OP it's always better safe then sorry so definitely weigh it and chime back.
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Wrekk, thanks! Hopefully the op will post the weight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be environmental tarnishing/staining/discolouration. I agree, weight would be helpful.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57449 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Detector finds are that color:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing it with other State Quarters it looks a bit thinner but I know you can't go by that. As for the weight I think it feels a bit lighter than other State Quarters but without scales I cannot be certain about the weight. I'll try to get my hands on some scales sometime tonight and weigh it. Also, I found it in a coin exchange machine. Put a dollar in and immediately noticed this brown piece of metal as soon as it came out.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, someone named strike weakness. While the strike is full and in detail all the raised portions of the coin seem kinda shallow. Like they are not raised as high as other coins. Almost feels flat and smooth when holding it
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2907 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think weight would be the only way to say with 100% accuracy if this is an error. Even then possibly an xrf.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8063 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eager to learn the weight. For now, I'm thinking environmental damage.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Batman357769 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I just weighed it (scales only show tenths)
It weighed 5.5g
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well within the tolerance of a U.S. minted Quarter. This pretty much sums it up as environmental damage. Thank you for the weight Batman. I'm sure others will appreciate it too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2947 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, as others have noted it is environmental and the weight helps confirm that by ruling out other possibilities.

(It looks very similar to quarters I have found metal detecting. The moisture in the ground seems to bring out the brown from the copper from the center layer.)
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57449 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 848Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: