Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Silver Eagle Dansco Question.

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,251Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
546 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No. You might be able to create a custom album using blank millimeter pages using one sized for the outside diameter of the OGP capsules, but I think those are going to be too thick for the pages.

Had a feeling not, but figured I'd ask. Might have to buy a regular binder and see if there's pocket sheets sold that can hold the coins in OGP. Would like to be able to have them for easy viewing like my Peace dollar folder instead of all boxed up taking up space.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7329 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a couple uncirculated, but I have the full collection of proofs.

Same here.

Do you have the 1995-W ASE proof or the 2019-S Enh Rev Proof?
Learn More...
United States
112065 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Might have to buy a regular binder and see if there's pocket sheets sold that can hold the coins in OGP.
Good luck!

Quote:
Would like to be able to have them for easy viewing like my Peace dollar folder instead of all boxed up taking up space.
Understood!
Pillar of the Community
United States
546 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Same here.

Do you have the 1995-W ASE proof or the 2019-S Enh Rev Proof?

Both, I was lucky enough to get the 2019 S directly from the mint during that mayhem and sent it to NGC for grading which came back 70.

The 1995 W I bought this year with some money I received from an inheritance to complete the proof collection. It's a PF 69 from PCGS.
Edited by mrpapageorgio
11/29/2021 2:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7329 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Both, I was lucky enough to get the 2019 S directly from the mint during that mayhem and sent it to NGC for grading which came back 70.

The 1995 W I bought this year with some money I received from an inheritance to complete the proof collection. It's a PF 69 from PCGS.

Very nice!! I also have the entire ASE Proof line.. - I'm in the process of getting all of them graded at PCGS..(I'm guessing it will take a while to complete that task..)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7513 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does Dansco sell an album that holds proofs in their OGP capsules? Wouldn't mind an album to hold them all at once, but not looking to remove them from the OGP and risk getting my prints on them or other marks.

As already mentioned, Dansco isn't an option for you, but you should be able to use the ENCAP 40/41 page from Lighthouse to do the trick.

Lighthouse ENCAP 40/41 Page

Lighthouse also sell albums for the pages.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11476 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CAPS is also an option but you would still have to transfer the coins from their OGP capsules to AirTites. I have done that many times without issue. When doing so I wear a cotton glove on one hand just to be safe.

Personally I have all proofs and uncric from 1999-date. Need to fill in a number of holes for proofs prior to 1999.
Pillar of the Community
United States
546 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice!! I also have the entire ASE Proof line.. - I'm in the process of getting all of them graded at PCGS..(I'm guessing it will take a while to complete that task..)

Most of the proofs I have aren't graded. The graded coins I have are the higher profile coins in my collection. Basically the purpose is to make them easier to view, increase their liquidity, and to tell my family to pay special attention to the graded ones if anything happens to me and they want to liquidate (i.e. don't assume they're worth just $50). I have on my to-do list to put stickers on the more valuable coins listing their approx. value so the family knows what they're worth and not get shorted.

Quote:
As already mentioned, Dansco isn't an option for you, but you should be able to use the ENCAP 40/41 page from Lighthouse to do the trick.

I'll certainly look at those. Thanks!

Quote:
CAPS is also an option but you would still have to transfer the coins from their OGP capsules to AirTites. I have done that many times without issue. When doing so I wear a cotton glove on one hand just to be safe.

Personally I have all proofs and uncric from 1999-date. Need to fill in a number of holes for proofs prior to 1999.

Not against the idea of doing a transfer to Airtites, just don't want to leave them out in the open exposed like normal Dansco folders where you have to pop them manually into the folder page without being in the capsule.
Edited by mrpapageorgio
11/29/2021 5:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Topic....

Seeing that the WAY in which We store/ View Our collections is Eye opening, It's as Unique as the Collector's themselves.

I Too collect the ASE series, Unc's, Proofs, RP'S, ERP'S, Etc. I keep the sets and other coins in the Original Packaging and ALSO started a DANSCO and have not upgraded it for awhile. Seeing the coins in their OGP, Sweet, for Me.

Grading Valuable coins is a Smart, Safe way to keep KEYS. I also have some KEYS NOT slabbed, The Majority of that series, NOT slabbed. The Only coin I had graded was the 1970-S Small-Date Lincoln Cent and the 1889-CC Morgan silver dollar. Just a few slabs. I believe that WEAR is placed upon a stored coin, Especially the ones I keep in a FOLDER, Those Clangs are NOT preferred....... JMO!!!!
Edited by morgans dad
11/30/2021 08:53 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11476 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have on my to-do list to put stickers on the more valuable coins listing their approx. value so the family knows what they're worth and not get shorted.

Great idea! I sort of do that but it's all in a spreadsheet at this point. I'm (hopefully) many years away from having to worry about it but life is life and anything can happen and happen in a hurry. Rather than individually label everything I may put together a simplified spreadsheet or document with the "big ticket" items with photos to help them identify and explanation of how best to liquidate everything if needed.

Quote:
Seeing that the WAY in which We store/ View Our collections is Eye opening, It's as Unique as the Collector's themselves.

Agreed!

Quote:
Not against the idea of doing a transfer to Airtites, just don't want to leave them out in the open exposed like normal Dansco folders where you have to pop them manually into the folder page without being in the capsule.

That's why I went with CAPS in the first place. I'd be OK with sticking bullion ASEs in a Dansco but not the proofs, UNCs, RPs, ERPs, etc. But as morgansdad said above, each collector has their own style and there is no wrong way.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7513 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For transferring to a display album w/o having to touch the coins (i,e., without having to remove them from their Mint capsules), nothing beats the Lighthouse pages!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
546 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great idea! I sort of do that but it's all in a spreadsheet at this point. I'm (hopefully) many years away from having to worry about it but life is life and anything can happen and happen in a hurry. Rather than individually label everything I may put together a simplified spreadsheet or document with the "big ticket" items with photos to help them identify and explanation of how best to liquidate everything if needed.

I'm certainly of the younger demographic on this forum. That said, my father passed at the age of 60 two years ago from cancer in the span of 8 months after being diagnosed (his death was sudden since he was responding well originally to treatment) so that hit home a bit knowing "you never know when it's your time". He had a decent collection of firearms, but didn't keep an inventory of their value. Fortunately, he passed a decent bit of knowledge to the family, so we knew which were the good ones and which were the junk he liked to accumulate to eventually sell to those "buy-backs" for extra money. The good stuff is staying with mom.

Because of that, I have every bit of confidence the family would know to pay attention to the gold and graded items, but would like to mark the big ticket ones so they know not to sell those for cheap at a flea market in case something happens suddenly.
Edited by mrpapageorgio
11/30/2021 11:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7329 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
without having to remove them from their Mint capsules), nothing beats the Lighthouse pages!

Not familiar with that one. I guess I'll have to research it out a bit
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11476 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...without having to remove them from their Mint capsules), nothing beats the Lighthouse pages!

Looks interesting and is a solid option. Some observations

On the plus side:
o Zero touching of the actual coin
o You get 20 ASEs/page vs 16/page vs CAPS pages.
o Pages fit in Lighthouse Grande albums, which are solid and affordable albums with slipcases. (I happen to use these for my world paper money collection as well and love them.)

On the downside (I use that term loosely)
o There are no labels and doesn't look like much room for making your own. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to address that.
o I don't know but I'm assuming the pages are also thicker to accommodate the thickness of slabs/OGP.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7329 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know but I'm assuming the pages are also thicker to accommodate the thickness of slabs/OGP

Looking at the lighthouse web site and these pages, It looks like they pages are thick enough and possibly rigid to boot.

I'm looking at these for my ASE slabbed proofs (of which Lighthouse has pages for the slabs as well)
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,251Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: