Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1874 Three Cent Nickel

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 963Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoping with the bad pics there is more luster the shows on the high spots. The nick below the O doesn't bother me on such a small coin.
I decided to take a chance so paid 50.00 I think that is fair regardless.
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see a details-worthy scratch. That deep ding by the bonnet gave me more pause than the gouge, which may not even be PMD.

I think you're okay at $50.
Edited by pristine2
11/27/2021 3:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8794 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Au for now, looking forward to see it with better holders, that nick under the O is concerning me.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4023 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough one for sure with these pics, especially through the flip. I have a slight pause with the darker reverse spots. Also, weakness in the wreath leaves at K9, strike weakness or possible removed corrosion? I'll await in hand pics, but I can see XF-AU, hopefully with no problems.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2716 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a different concern about this coin. The raised bumps in the hair near the ribbon and knot, around the date and UNITED, and above the second column (between the top leaves) on the reverse don't look like a pitted die. The obverse details look inconsistently soft.

There is a known spark erosion die-struck counterfeit of this date. I've heard of them appearing in copper, nickel-plated copper, and other random metals.

I sure hope it's genuine, and I'm not at all sure it isn't. The surface looks like cupro-nickel, rather than the known fake metals. The raised lumps made me pause, though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm inclined to call this XF. I think there is more of a wear issue rather than just a weak strike. The raised pimples are cause for concern and certainly raises a red flag. Obverse has a mushy look to me. Are there any signs of clashing which is so common with this series?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it will be interesting to see this one in hand. My feeling is it will look better than the pics indicate but only time will tell.
I think the pimple looking areas are on the holder as you can see them on the holder where the coin is not.
We will see. I think for 50.00 it was worth the gamble.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2021  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks quite nice in hand for 50.00
Some clashing as well.

Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still at XF on this. The columns on the reverse have too much wear to justify an AU grade and the obverse isn't just weakly struck, there are flat spots caused by wear. Where did the die crack from the second T in STATES to the denticles disappear to?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11915 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45 details. cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont see it being cleaned but I do not know the series well. It does have a spec of green that was under some fuzz in the flip.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2716 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whew! The in-hand photos take away any concerns I had. It's a nice coin.

I think the obverse makes AU-55 and the reverse makes AU-53. The dings in the hair above the ear and on the upper hair, along with the two small gouges in the knot and the ribbon from the tiara to the knot raise a question about details. The rest of the coin looks nice, and I think it is more likely to have an eye appeal adjustment down to AU-53 than being detailed.

Net AU-53, straight grade. You did well here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is the tiny green spot under the fuzz. Fuzz is the white spot in the holder by the green area.
I was thinking of putting in acetone in case its not a corrosion spot. its a very small spot but id like it gone.
if it is a small corrosion spot and ideas, olive oil and a tootppick? I live in Idaho so not worried about humidity.

Edited by JasonKflo
12/17/2021 12:06 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4023 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were me, acetone first, then xylene to try and pull the spot. I've also used a toothpick with xylene in the past, if a light roll over with a qtip doesn't pull it.

I can't get a good feel for the surfaces, especially the reverse. Are the darker spots just toning? Heavier toning lightened by a dip? Removed ED?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8794 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As to acetone vs. xylene? I wrote this up not long ago:

http://goccf.com/t/398235&whichpage=2#3412791

Not much difference between them - however xylene is much more detrimental to your health.

From the linked article the key saftey points for both are...

ACETONE:
In small amounts, the acetone is not very harmful but it does produce vapors that can irritate the mucous membranes of the eyes and the cells of the skin. It is also a flammable chemical and so people should be careful to not use too much in an enclosed space or near an ignition source.

XYLENE:
Xylene is a potentially dangerous chemical since it is flammable and has been shown to cause irritation of the mucous membranes and skin. It has also been shown to be toxic to the body if inhaled and thus individuals working with xylene should take precautions to avoid contact with skin or with breathing in the fumes. Xylene can be harmful to the nervous system and cause damage to organs like the lungs, kidneys, and liver.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 963Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: