Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Meant By Graceless?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,131Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
Canada
258 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks for the explanation. It seemed as labeled in the album as if it was a variant of the 1911 Nickel .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
608 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of which, it's mentioned in the history article below the 1911 dollar coin did include "DEI GRATIA" and its speculated that had something to do with the decision to abort them.
Quote:
An official reason why the Borden government cancelled production has yet to be discovered. But in a letter to Evelyn Cecil, MP, Deputy Master Bonar appears to associate it with the removal of the reference to God (Dei Gratia) from Canada's coins.
RCNA Member

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2894 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a spot for 1911 that does not say graceless?
Valued Member
Canada
258 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1960 Whitman album for nickels 1858-1921 has only a 1911 spot . The album I referenced earlier was produced by La Habra " continental Line" is not nickel specific but examples of every George the V coin . Only the Penny Nickel quarter and 50 cent have a spot for graceless .Not the dime for some reason but I have all the 1911 coins above and they all have the same writing on the reverse. I apologize for my lack of proper terminology.
Valued Member
Canada
258 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a close up of the 1911 Nickel

Pillar of the Community
Canada
608 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's odd because Coinscanada shows the dime also without "DEI GRATIA" (graceless).
RCNA Member

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4290 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before we get into more "what ifs", ALL 1911 coins were "graceless" and ALL 1912 coins and after have Dei gratia. It's because there was a new King after 1910, so all the 1911's don't have reference to Gratia in the Obverse when they designed for George..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2894 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other then the 1$ coin that's in a museum from what I read
Pillar of the Community
Canada
608 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly.. therefore not ALL.
RCNA Member

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4825 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a 1911 pattern cent that has DEI GRATIA...so as I said above, all 1911s you run into are graceless unless they are patterns...which you are basically guaranteed to never find an example of.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 21 year old collector/dealer from the Greater Toronto area

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
608 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree however they do exist which is why I say not all. Maybe all circulation strikes is better worded?
RCNA Member

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2894 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very true. It's like saying there is no 1936 dot cents. Are any of us going to ever find one? Haha of course not. But they exist.

Fixed, I don't proof read while at work texting a message.
Edited by Wrekkdd
11/30/2021 5:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4229 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no 1935 Dot Cent.
The 1936 Dot Cents were SPECIMEN Coins .
None were ever struck for circulation .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2894 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I meant 36 lol.

Edit: this is simply about the 1911 dollar with de gratia existing, I was making a comparison to the 1936 dot cent because yes they exist, but no you will never find one. Same goes for the 1911 DE GRATIA dollar. Therefore not all 1911 coins are missing DE GRATIA.
Edited by Wrekkdd
11/30/2021 5:48 pm
Learn More...
Australia
14260 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These Canadian coins of 1911 make an excellent triplet with the other two notoriously "godless" coins of the British Empire: the British "godless florin" of 1849, and the Australian "faithless" coins of 1953.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,131Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: