Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917 Standing Liberty Quarter Full Head (Type 1)

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,417Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fingers crossed! Hoping all the best news for you. When we view coins magnified to the size of an ashtray the mind can see things that you wouldn't notice under normal magnification. Please keep us informed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8788 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps I am way off base but my gut is telling me that something isn't right.

I sort of had that feeling too, but I think in the long run it's a good coin. The color does have that newly faked from China look though, totally see that too. The overall strike however, looks genuine to me.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17190 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see both scenarios but I sure do hope it's genuine .
IMHO eye appeal is 9/10 .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44629 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pristine2,
What will the cost be in the end? Slabbing cost, restoration cost,cost of the coin,shipping to and from,insurance? http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinp...proof=&plus=
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What will the cost be in the end? Slabbing cost, restoration cost,cost of the coin,shipping to and from,insurance?

The restoration fee is $38 on top of the shipping and other fees. Shipping is split between everything I'm submitting so it isn't that much.

It's really a pretty good deal considering a normal raw coin costs me $22. The imaging is a lot cheaper at PCGS than it is at NGC, too.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBluster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Au58 FH what a nice coin.
Valued Member
United States
452 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just bet this is fake. Lots of raised bumps/pimples and a curiously sharp strike, like many fake Morgans. Circulation toning like this would normally come with noticeable rub and wear on the high points, but there is none. $1 says it's fake.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67635 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gentleman in the back row calls this a fake! Comments please!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11908 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
took a closer look at this and I'm with a couple others that this is not genuine. just one marker I noticed that is not normal for this year. compare the area marked with an arrow. the feathers in the area should be overlapped not rounded like this one

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10452 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first impression was counterfeit based on the lower lip extending beyond the upper lip. The counterfeiters seem to always struggle with facial features but this is not to say this coin is counterfeit. I've been wrong before and chose to sit back on this one as I'm not very familiar with this series. I hope I'm wrong on this one.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
3532 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
compare the area marked with an arrow. the feathers in the area should be overlapped not rounded like this one

The toning on the OP example could be creating the rounded look on the feathers.

OP

Genuine PCGS
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3891 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is going on here

Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is at PCGS. I don't know this series that well so it is possible I've been snookered, but we will know soon enough.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4571 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a modern counterfeit to me but not an expert on this coin. Will be interesting to see what PCGS thinks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2709 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most common counterfeit 1917 SLQ has a marker on the reverse. I don't see it on this coin. That doesn't rule out his one being a counterfeit, but it isn't the one being peddled on the usual suspect site.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,417Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: