Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896 $1 & $2 Silver Cert - My Head First Dive Into The Deep End.

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,061Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Steve as a killer $2 Educational as well, hope he'll show it here

Pillar of the Community
United States
3649 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 1896 $2 Silver Certificate. All of the series 1896 Silver Certificates are fairly expensive, with the $5 note leading the pack. I've found that mid-grade examples with original paper qualities is probably the way to go for budget minded collectors wanting the most bang for their buck.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2117 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Check RK55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add RK55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve, that is a beautiful note. What is holding back from a higher grade? Fro the photo's it looks near perfect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've found that mid-grade examples with original paper qualities is probably the way to go for budget minded collectors wanting the most bang for their buck.

That bill is awesome
5 of 5

I am at the minimum barrier to entry for mid-grade, I think. I will post shots with assigned grades after a bit.

I changed the name of the topic to include the $2 since we wound up that way. This is the Educational Note Series Thread. Who's got the $5?

Here's my $2. Again, to my novice currency eye, I aimed at wanting the grade range with no apparent damage markers and little to no creasing which I believe I have accomplished. If so, I have a desirable bill compared to most in the grade and price range. Any expert insight is appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3649 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the photos I post are scans. Scans are great for two dimensional imaging. To get an idea about a notes condition, you need side lighting to add an extra dimension. The "third" dimension makes it easy to spot folds and handling marks that hide during scanning. These two photos are the same note. Scanned and photographed with side lighting.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow. that is amazing and what a great education. Thank you!

Can you get away with that when the bill is certified in a holder? I can see on the raw example you're sharing that once you lift the scanner top and add the side lighting the corners lift as do the other imperfections from the crumpling/crinkling. Would this apply to a scan in an already "flattened" environment as a vacuumed-sealed holder creates?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67721 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, most of the details will show even if the note is in a holder. The trick is understanding whether the images suggest an original or a pressed/altered note. It's not always easy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The trick is understanding whether the images suggest an original or a pressed/altered note. It's not always easy.

This is why I will most likely steer away from raw notes unless it is a real trustworthy dealer relationship. The bay seems very dangerous for unsuspecting souls.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to share my final outcome on these two bills when they arrived over the past week. I sent them back.

I remember when I started seriously collecting coins. Like most novices, I jumped quickly at items and wasted money buying problem coins, unattractive coins and low range certified "just to have the example"; not fully knowing that the $100 I spent on the lower grade was a third of the MS62 (as is most cases with common date issues).

I felt the same here. Its no secret what these bills are selling for. Why buy a $2100 VF25 when I'm halfway and six months of patience away from my choice of several EF40s on the market that will be there for sale come summer.

Anyhoo, thought I would share.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3649 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't be to hard on yourself. Most new collectors, including myself make similar mistakes. I consider this tuition.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't be to hard on yourself. Most new collectors, including myself make similar mistakes. I consider this tuition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always make this suggestion and I'm sure a few veteran currency collectors roll their eyes: take a look at souvenir cards. The Bureau of Engraving & Printing has issued reprints of a great many of the most popular currency designs printed *from the original plates*. These are very affordable and will give you a great appreciation of the banknote engraver's art.

You can scroll through more than 300 of these cards (or as the BEP now calls them "intaglio prints") right here:
http://www.souvenircards.org/galler...b-index.html
You'll find fronts and backs of the entire Educational series, including the unissued $10.

Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow that is incredible artwork
thanks for sharing
Pillar of the Community
United States
4876 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful $1 Educational Note you've got there, dsfreeworld!

I made the mistake of buying one of those when I first got into large notes rather than waiting awhile until I knew more and had more money to spend on a better example:

One of these days I suppose I should go ahead and upgrade to a better example, but I've been holding onto this one mostly for sentimental reasons since it was my first large note.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,061Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: