Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are There Any Mercury Dime Collectors Out There Or Are They Almost Non Existent

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 3,053Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyingTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice 52 Raymo ,My local coin store won't buy a 16-D not slabbed and said don't ever buy one that isn't.
Also they said don't ever buy a 1889-CC not slabbed either.
Both coins are known for many fakes I guess.
Another coin dealer several months ago at a coin show advised me to buy all the expensive coins first but it was already to late for me.I'm not that patient anyway.Ha!Ha!
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been collecting Mercury dimes pretty exclusively for several years now!

I'm 50 now, collected wheat pennies and other coins people gave me when I was a kid, annual mint products: commemorative silver and proof sets, etc. Then started buying modern commemorative gold around 2004, modern commemorative silver after that, first coin purchases since the mid 1980s. Then became interested in the classic series, buying some well worn Mercury dimes and Walking Liberty half dollars from pawn shops and the like, and partially filled albums of barber and Standing Liberty quarters from a few local auctions.

Eventually, I landed on Mercury dimes as a series to explore further; the design and other aspects of this important series in American numismatics really resonated with me.

Then, after reading many articles about numismatics, and collecting strategies, I decided to focus my efforts, narrowing down to a sub-niche: early date branch mint Mercury dimes - Denver and Frisco Mercury dimes from the teens and twenties. These issues are more rare due to mintage numbers, but also because coin collecting as a hobby didn't really take off until the thirties, when more mint state coins were saved. By then most dimes minted from even just a few years prior were already worn down quickly from circulation.

This Coin Week article really helped send me on this path as well:
https://coinweek.com/us-coins/assem...es-low-cost/
"The cool thing about Mercury dimes is that original EF to AU coins for mintmarked dates from the teens and twenties are exceptionally challenging. These are underpriced. Most of the ones that have been certified have been artificially brightened, not original. You can find original EF to AU Mercury dimes, but you must search for them."

The other thing that happened around the same time, or perhaps later--once I had a little more money available to dedicate to building a collection of this sort, and gained a greater appreciate for numismatics in general--luster started to matter a lot more to me!

Originally, I had more or less targeted XF grade coins, but the luster kept drawing me in. Where possible, I tried to stretch my budget to consider more AU level specimens, looking for well struck PQ specimens, with original surfaces and natural toning, the more luster the better.

I've really enjoyed exploring this niche area of the Mercury dime series, there are some very tough dates both for Denver and San Francisco in high AU grade such as 1917-D; 1919-D & S; 1925-D & S; 1923-S; 1924-S, 1927-S, 1928-S (large S) -- with original surfaces and natural toning, and luster. I'm trying to become as knowledgeable as possible on what to look for and where to find choice specimens.

I think what dealers will tell you is that there just isn't a sustained market for lower grade pieces, especially common dates. So my compromise was to target fewer higher grade examples from a narrower and more challenging sub-set (teens and twenties Denver and Frisco), rather than the entire series in lower grade.
Edited by one_fine_dime
10/02/2022 8:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13701 Posts
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've been collecting Mercury dimes pretty exclusively for several years now!

Quote:
I have an 'almost' complete set of Merc dimes myself. At some point, I need to get them photographed.
Same and Same. Just got "the big one" left. But I have to admit, mine are not much to look at. Pedestrian at best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5615 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my set.

I even have a few slabbed and several rolls

So Yes a few of us like Mercury dimes

Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11487 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The very first US coin I ever got was this 1942-D dime. It was in a tobacco tin of miscellaneous foreign and obsolete coins that my parents had saved and which they gave me when I started collecting during the run-up to Decimalisation. I have always liked the design and would love to complete my set at some stage: at present, I am just picking them up here and there when I find one in a dealer's junk tray. They quite often turn up in the UK - I daresay some were left behind by GIs during World War II:

Edited by NumisRob
10/03/2022 2:31 pm
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The very first US coin I ever got was this 1942-D dime...
Very nice!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13701 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5615 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guilty, at last count I had somewhere over 6,000 Mercury dimes. I didn't hoard them, just accumulated buying 90% silver, used to always sell my Roosevelt dimes.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Guilty, at last count I had somewhere over 6,000 Mercury dimes.

Quote:
I didn't hoard them, just accumulated buying 90% silver, used to always sell my Roosevelt dimes.
Sounds plausible.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4648 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a complete collection of Mercuries, except the rare one. I am not looking for the last one, nor am I making serious efforts to upgrade. However, I quite like the design. They are plentiful in Canada.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a half full album, no keys or semi keys. I have the 2016 Mercury dime if that counts. Just not one of my favorite designs which is odd considering the Standing quarter & Walking Liberty halves are some of my favorites. I used to have a couple rolls but unfortunately sold them before the spike.
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson | Coffee, Corvettes, Coins & the CCF what could be better?
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 3,053Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: