Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1931 S Wheat Penny With Layered 99 & 11

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,391Next Topic Page 3 of 3
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Plainduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry not better pictures. Having hard time staying under 300MB

Thank You everyone for your input

Regards
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73609 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not worth grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2174 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rubbing is much worse than water, and can seriously devalue coins as rare as this
Pillar of the Community
United States
1093 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should not have cleaned it, at all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3779 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch.

The fact that this coin was on the end of a roll sold on ebay makes me wonder if it could have been evaluated by the seller and they deemed it beyond conservation.

The full images show the surfaces as rubbed.

The coin IS a key date and still has value.

EDIT: Rereading this topic I too am a little worried about the authenticity of the coin.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Edited by Yokozuna
08/16/2022 11:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1093 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  02:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Plainduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at this coin very closely I'm afraid that "Petespockets 55" is the Winner & I'm the loser. The 3 is 100% wrong! The one on PCGS web site has the 3 on the bottom tip being closer to the 9. See picture attached. My coin clearly has the top of the 3 being closer to the 9. I think it is fake what is your opinion?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4834 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  12:32 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Late to the table here but I would agree the coin is a fake. Whole coin pics are, as OP notes, not so good, but the date pic just looks all kinds of wrong.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60444 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a fake example:

Only example I have of a fake coin.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3476 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear it turned out this way for you Plainduck.

The 3 looked off and the "MD" around the 9, 3 reminded me of "Longacre doubling", instead of MD.
https://www.error-ref.com/longacre-...%99s%20sides.

BTW- Longacre doubling isn't seen on US coinage after about 1907.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73609 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That straight-on shot of the 3 is indeed a dead giveaway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2174 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
was this one constructed from some other date, if so which date? the final 1 in the date looks like it has glue around its edges
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LazerPig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess the 1 is shaved then superglued on a 193x-S
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Plainduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just want to say "Thank You"

For your insight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1220 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2022  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would guess the 1 is shaved then superglued on a 193x-S

It would have had to have come from a 1930 or a 1935 through 1939 since no S minted Wheat cents were produced in 1932, 1933 or 1934.
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,391Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: