Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Classic US Coins Have The Most Historical Significance In Your Collection And Why?

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,592Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
9437 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! That looks a lot like your avatar.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The historical significance of this one is probably mostly personal, although more generally it represents aspects of the Civil War era, namely counterfeiting. More famous is the story of Samuel Upham and his counterfeiting of confederate notes, but it seems that fake coins were rife on the Union side as well.

This is my contemporary counterfeit 1861 dime. Type 101, and according to https://www.seateddimevarieties.com..._101page.htm "by far the most common counterfeit Seated dime."

It came to me via my grandmother and my great-great-grandfather George Emory Logue. He enlisted in the Wisconsin infantry October 28, 1861, less than two weeks after his 17th birthday, and reenlisted as a veteran three years later in early 1864. He served with his father and brother, both of whom were imprisoned at Andersonville. He married my great-great-grandmother in 1879, when he was 35 and she was 16. He only lived another 12 years and died at 47, which my grandmother attributed to the war and the hard drinking afterwards.

I picture him scratching through the reverse when he realized he'd been duped by a fake dime. It sat in my collection for 40 years before I realized it was fake myself!

Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats one of the most interesting pieces of provenance ive ever seen. thanks for sharing that kbbpll
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1753 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing such an interesting family history with us, kbbpll.

Pillar of the Community
Germany
1753 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This William Pitt Fathing is probably the coin in my collection which has the most historical significance as it relates to America.

The Pitt farthing, as well as the Pitt halfpenny are not U.S coins, and were likely not even struck in America.

However, they are very relevant to American history because they were struck to commemorate an event, namely the Stamp Act of 1765 which is considered to be one of the factors which directly led to the American Revolution.

The Stamp or Tax Act was passed by the English Parliament in 1765. It empowered the Crown to tax the American Colonies on a wide range of transactions and documents, as well as some goods of everyday life. The revenue was intended to be used toward the costs of up-keep of the British standing Army in North America.

The reaction among the Colonists to the passing of the Tax Act was predictable...

The person honoured in this coin is William Pitt, a member of the British Parliament who sided with the American colonists, and actively campaigned in Parliament to repeal the Stamp Act.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9437 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Great stuff kppbll and Germanicvs.
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This William Pitt Fathing is probably the coin in my collection which has the most historical significance as it relates to America...
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4912 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest, all my coins are of equal historic significance (to me, at least).

The whole reason I became interested in collecting coins in the first place was the realization that each of these little pieces of metal were owned by somebody in the (sometimes distant) past and have been handed down throughout many generations until finally finding a temporary resting place in my collection. They are, in other words, a connection to the past and a way to experience the storied history of this country by holding it in my hand.

If I had to pick one or two that are somehow especially significant from a historical standpoint, I guess I'd go with this example from the earliest days of the Republic:

And this example from the earliest days of the U.S. Mint:

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for choosing this topic @numismaticstudent! I am not sure I can compete with the cool stamped specimens, or first year issues I have seen here (and I love seeing them!), but I'm not here to compete. I have always loved collecting coins from historically significant dates. To say that the USA has a tumultuous history would be an understatement. One of my childhood numismatic goals was to collect a nice 1838-O, as I a) love the no star obverse and b) see this coin as a witness of the USA's dark, genocidal Trail of Tears. Being minted in New Orleans, this coin came into existence in the route of the Seminoles' forced march.

My career has been mostly in education, and has mostly been international (the USA, China, Japan, Bulgaria, and Kazakhstan are the locations I have actually worked), with numismatics as a hobby, so I have a great appreciation for the need to embrace history and learn from it. Visiting the state capitol in Arizona once (in 2009 I think) I saw the quote "A nation that forgets its past has no future" attributed to Thomas Jefferson and immediately admired the sentiment. I can say that that all politics aside (I am not seeking a political conversation here), part of really loving one's country (which I do!) is being honest about the darkest parts of the history and Heritage and using those lessons to try and do better in the future. The Trail of Tears is a frightening moment in the growth and development of the young American nation, rivaling the Armenian Genocide at the beginning of World War I. In January 2021 I finally acquired my 1838-O (actually it is 1838-O/O) dime in a decent grade. NGC liked it enough to straight grade it--PCGS did not. Here it is for your enjoyment. Personally, I kind of wish it was in an MS(60) holder...

I will repeat the cliche here: "the coin looks better in person than it does in the photos"

Edited by Adam590
12/05/2022 5:16 pm
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9437 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another avatar-worthy coin. Bet it was tough deciding whether to submit this one in the eye-appeal thread or this one. Congrats on acquiring this special coin.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could have titled this historical eye candy. Lots of beautiful coins here!
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,592Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: