Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,319 / Views: 159,373Next Topic
Page: of 155
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally, some Fijian earlies. I will just introduce these notes here and discuss them more on the Fiji thread in the Australia and Pacific section.

1969 One dollar, the first decimal dollar, VF and low serial. This is a nice note and notice the sharp colours.

1942 One penny notes, both fine. The backs had detail too.
Very small at 77mm x 50 (Basically 2 x 3 inches), the penny coin depicted on them is actual size!

The wartime fractional notes included the 1/- and 2/- notes.

These notes were also small (111 x 68mm) and printed on cheap paper. There are 2 types of the 1 shilling, mine is the earlier one on plain white paper with blank back. The 2nd type is like the 2/- note, plain back but with "Colony of Fiji" in type across the whole note.

More details on the Fiji page.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
11/27/2021 02:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1489 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Finally, some Fijian earlies.

Very nice additions @Princetane. I'd like to get P-59 someday. I haven't seen very many of the WWII Emergency issued penny notes like you posted & that's the first 2 Shilling note I've seen a collector post (other what I've seen in the online catalogues).

Here's a much more common P-71b (Series of 1974) $1.00 from just "FIJI"

Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dispargum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd like to get P-59 someday

@walk2dwater: May I ask, what makes this Fiji P59 so special for you?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you to show the later $1 note walk2dwater as you can clearly see how they lightened the colour between the 2 series.

Yes I was happy to get that 2 shillings too. Until last week every time I saw any Predecimal Fiji notes, they always sold quickly, luckily the dealer had a buy now and when I saw 8 watchers on the auction, I just clicked the Buy now button. It was not cheap ($60), but I knew it may be my only chance. For some reason the Penny and Shilling notes are much easier to find.

I don't have a Pick catalogue so have no idea about the numbers sorry.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Germany
12 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dispargum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Your 1 $ 1969 is Fiji P59
One penny is Fiji P47
1 Shilling 1942 is Fiji P48a
2 Shillings 1942 is Fiji P50
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

@Princetane

I've had good luck identifying many world bnknotes here: http://www.banknote.ws
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That site is great thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1489 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@walk2dwater: May I ask, what makes this Fiji P59 so special for you?

Not so much 'so special' but just a fair degree tougher than P-74b, like P-65a & b (which are even more challenging) they were released for a couple years. Most "GOVERNMENT OF FIJI" notes tend to be much harder to obtain than the later/plentiful "FIJI" series. It is a similar deal with the "Commonwealth of Australia" vs "Australia" series for that nation. While I'm happy with my note (it's high grade), but I know it is pretty common (like P-89, or the last 1993 $1.00) compared to the earlier "Government of Fiji" series.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, I was lucky to find it in that shape (VF with a few stains and folds).

So far I have the $1 and $10 of the 1969 series (As you know the $10 is really stained - Kava?).

The 1971 series (1 signature, C.A. Stinson) is really hard - I only have the 50 cents!
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1489 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:49 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And not too far from the Fiji Islands, I present this recent addition, a $5 (P-6a) from the Solomon Islands:

(Now all I need is the $20):
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And not too far from the Fiji Islands, I present this recent addition, a $5 (P-6a) from the Solomon Islands:
Excellent!

Quote:
Now all I need is the $20
Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely and you know the Solomon Islands has released new notes in Polymer. Unlike most of the Pacific, they have had severe inflation (Okay most Pacific places have had some inflation).

Its about $5.50 Solomons to $1 NZ. Yet their largest note is still only $100 and coin is $2.

When the Solomon Islands $ was floated in 1977, it was parity with the Australian $.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1489 Posts
 Posted Today  6H 30M ago  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lovely and you know the Solomon Islands has released new notes in Polymer. Unlike most of the Pacific, they have had severe inflation (Okay most Pacific places have had some inflation).
Its about $5.50 Solomons to $1 NZ. Yet their largest note is still only $100 and coin is $2.

Thanks @Princetane & I did not know that. That's too bad inflation has been so crippling for so many small nations. It must be tough on the people there. Thanks for sharing.

I bought this P-16 $20 at the start of 2021 & posted it in March. They're from 1986 & are really lovely to see (& still not too expensive, esp the $20):

and the $50:

-which have great designs & are large format but I still need to get the P-8 (or P-12) $20 featuring QEII. Every time I see one up for grabs it seems to get more expensive.
Edited by walk2dwater
Today 6H 29M ago
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Page: of 155
Replies: 2,319 / Views: 159,373Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: