Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Banknotes Acquisition. List Them Here.

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,266 / Views: 153,027Next Topic
Page: of 152
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2937 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 2 other notes were cheap as the Kina is not a tradeable currency for notes here for some reason. It is worth 40 cents our money, but the 100 Kina cost me just $15, the 50 was $25.

50 Kina, first introduced in 1989 as a result of inflation. The note was the first to show the Government house at Boroko with the carvings and high roof like a traditional treehouse.

It also shows Sir Michael Somare, a former Prime Minister and a collection of carvings, masks and wooden artefacts from around PNG.

This 100 Kina note is the highest value note currently in use and was released in 2008. This one was a commem one celebrating 35 years of the Central Bank, but was later reissued twice without the annivesary seal.

The Note is Polymer and shows again the Parliament House at Waigani, Boroko (Near Port Moresby - National Capital) and also shows shipping, produce, fishing and of course the people of the country.

Papua New Guinea has 900 languages and several hundred tribes of people. The two main groups are Papuans who live mostly inland and have roots stretching back 30k plus years. The other major group are Melanesians on the coast, whose roots go back only 2000 years but share links with Solomon Islanders, Vanuatu, Bougainville and Fiji!

Besides the 900 local languages (Only 100 are widespread), the 2 official languages are English, which is used in Governance and amongst the educated and settled people. And also Pidgin English, known as "Tok Pisin" which is used by most people including "bush" people as a lingua franca. Tok Pisin is very common and the words sound similar to English - examples

"Bigmoni kountinghaus" = Bank
"Kupti biskit" = Cookie/Biscuits
"Manwok goslo" = Road works, men working go slow.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
09/07/2021 04:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the language and history lesson
Learn More...
United States
103556 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2937 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny as it sounds, Tok Pisin is an effective language as people from over 900 tribal languages can communicate with each other. It is similar to Bislama in Vanuatu (Another form of Pidgin) and Pidgin itself in Solomon Islands.

Unlike Polynesia, the Melanesian nations usually have English on their notes, whereas Polynesian nations have their native languages dominant (Take my Tongan notes) and you will also see notes of Samoa use Samoan as their first language.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Netherlands
40 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here a new element on the 64 position of a set I'm working on, where Catalog number matches Grade. This time with a RADAR serial.

Learn More...
United States
103556 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here a new element on the 64 position of a set I'm working on, where Catalog number matches Grade. This time with a RADAR serial.
Fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one!
Netherlands
40 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another slight improvement on the 65 position: This time it's a Replacement / Star note from Egypt, from my favourite TPG. Actually the project leading to this set is called "Project PMG" for "Pick Matches Grade" :) Not all are Pick numbers btw. Not all are PMG slabs either.  

Learn More...
United States
103556 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the Egypt note!

@lighthouse250, you should do a thread of all the ones you have already.
Edited by hfjacinto
09/09/2021 2:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1397 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
& great to see your "Pick - Matches - Grade" project here on CCF.
Nice $20 Radar & Egyptian replacement.
Oh yeah & to CCF.

"W2W" aka serial#8 elsewhere...
Netherlands
40 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well maybe next weekend. I keep looking for improvements within and outside of the current set. It's complicated :D
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1397 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice!
Learn More...
United States
103556 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another 2 Rand from South Africa (P-118d):
Excellent!
Page: of 152
Previous TopicReplies: 2,266 / Views: 153,027Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05