Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Another Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 4,270Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2008  8:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add akglen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's another coin which I need help identifying. Sorry about the quality of the photo.

Thanks,
Glen
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2830 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2008  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G'day, it's some type of token intended to resemble a sovereign.
Standard jubilee portrait; standard St George reverse.
Legend is all wrong - I can't read it all.
Seems to be made of brass, or similar: it has enough copper in it to have a few green spots.
Peter in Oz
Learn More...
Australia
14654 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2008  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The words to the right of Victoria's portrait are "L.CHR.LAUER" - Ludwig Christian Lauer was a German jeton-maker who founded a company by the same name, which made play money, game counters and similar "jeton-type" tokens in the mid to late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The rest of the obverse inscription, "IM OF 2 SOVGN" (I'm of 2 sovereigns), implies to me this piece is in the "play money" category.

Here's a recent thread with a Lauer jeton, and some links.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2008  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add akglen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woo Hoo!! So I have some really old Monopoly money here. With this level of detail it seems it would be a short step up to counterfeiting. And thanks for the information.

Glen
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 4,270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: