Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Sales Of Coins For A Late Collector

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,189Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4988 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2008  11:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am listing 60+ coins over the next 3 days for a friend from Raleigh. They belonged to a long time collector (now deceased) and cover a wide range of interest. His widow has finally decided to sell off his collection. I have examined over 1000 coins from the collection thus far and have provided authentication and appraisals. The collection was assembled between 1965 and 1985 (roughly). The listings have been very accurate, but I am getting out of my area of expertise - except to confirm that they are real. I can't read Arabic or Tibetan so I am only so sure ?

This first group I was asked to sell includes a wide mix of material. Some from Tibet (mostly 20th century) some ancient (Roman and Roman Egypt) with some silver. One nice Scottish 20 pence.

I have estimated a wholesale value for each and got dealer offers on the better material.

Please check them out - eBay ID swamperbob

Hadrian 117 - 130 AD AR Denarius Silver Item number: 200225465490
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...200225465490
Titurius- Sabinus- Rape of the Sabines- Denarius- 89 BC Item number: 200225587953 and 200225592850.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...200225587953

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...200225592850
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Edited by swamperbob
05/23/2008 11:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2527 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2008  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Veeeery nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2008  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great auctions Bob--I've tried bidding on several coins but haven't got the ones I want. I was outbid on the counterfeit Mexican which I was going to offer back to you because I know you wanted it (I did too but probably 1% less than you!). I didn't want to discuss it with you before the auction closed as that would have been improper. It's a moot point since my bid didn't win, but I have been enjoying the auctions and seeing the interests of the collector--a part of whose life the coins represent.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20625 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2008  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Swamperbob's auctions. That's usually faster than eBay and certainly easier to sort and bookmark. If anyone else wants on let me know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4988 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2008  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks bobby - that link is neat. I think I am still operating in the stone age.

Thanks also to half - but you need to complete reading the listing. I edited it. The Mexican 10 centavo is REAL. The edge of the coin (where it was filed) showed what I thought was a copper core, but I didn't really study it properly and I didn't run tests on the edge because I was worried about additional damage. Of course I KNEW IT WAS FAKE because a Double double was impossible. Well, silverfox1 corrected me on that point - this particular year does come with BOTH dies double hubbed. So I tested the edge like I should have originally and found it was a silver sulfide toning which mimics an aged copper color.

Sometimes I will jump to a conclusion, when it meets what I think is right, but I always try to accept correction. In this case, Tom knows a whole lot more about the Decimal series than I do. The Hermosillo mint in 1872 must have been opearting under primitive conditions. They were able to hub their dies but apparently needed to hub each die multiple times. Tom says the double double hub is actually more common in 1872 than is a single image hub.

Good object lesson for me about taking my time.

My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Edited by swamperbob
06/01/2008 3:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2008  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right, Bob, I guess I was confused by the listing. I thought I read it but must have missed something. Oh, well. Still would have liked to have won it though.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,189Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05