Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing Coins From RCM Wrap

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2008  09:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jturcotte to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is it better to sell coins out of the RCM as seperate coins instead of a coin colection? I have a lot of 1960's RCM sets in wraps.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2008  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you're talking about the cheesy cellophane bubble wrap they used to put coins in. My gut says no, but I have seen a lot of this wrap springing air leaks with the coins oxidizing unattractively, so esthetically, I would say they are preferable in 2x2's.

I may be wrong, though. My suggestion is to check online auctions and see if there is any kind of a premium if you leave them as is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1656 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2008  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do RCm sets come with like a special sticker or something that states it's a mint set?
I would say stick them in 2x2's, but keep the sticker or whatever from the RCM set. You may have seen people selling coins in a similar way... as "freshly removed from mint set", usually with something from the mint wrapping as proof.
I've done it with a couple Italian sets that were torn and had to be removed. Worked out quite well! =)
Cheers!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2008  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand, I have a roll of 1991 quarters in the plastic mint sleeve (shrink fit type) that I am thinking of opening up and selling.

Any interest out there?
Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2008  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElleKitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of the lovely 1967 Canadian wildlife commemorative sets still in the brown paper envelope and plastic packaging it was put into 40 years ago. I had to search through about thirty of these envelopes to find one that wasn't torn or damaged with the coins toning inside.

As long as the plastic stays undamaged, I plan to leave them in there. Whether or not they command a premium over coins broken out of the plastic or not, I don't know.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
642 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2008  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they bring a premium higher than the set when single , a lot of people collect one denomination and are not interested in the other coins in the set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2008  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingdinasaur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with you on that. I have a lot of single coins, still in the "mint wrap" plastic, which tends to prove that people do save just one , (or more), coins from a set. If it is above grade, many people do break them out. It is very common in the US.
Dick
Valued Member
67 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2008  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add roots to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like in the United States, some people like to break open sets with above average coins. Certify them and sell.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05