Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Replica Mercury Dimes From China

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1658 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2010  06:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cwb8539 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Take a look at this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Replica-1942-D-...em2a06ba7dda

This seller is has a bunch of fake common date Mercury dimes and other common coinage. Granted his are marked "replica", but you know as well as I do that there will be ones that are not.

What's laughable is that he is selling a fake one for more than what you can buy the real thing for.

This is alarming. Imagine a whole roll of these being sold as bullion silver...

Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2010  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add needgames4lyfe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they are messing up the market with this crap
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2010  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A person from China may not know the general low value of these in the United States, so in my opinion it is not fair to blast the seller.

The coins are clearly marked Replica, so the seller is doing nothing wrong. Anybody buying anything this seller offers in the belief that it is a valuable coin is obviously not a knowledgeable collector. There have been many threads in the past regarding these, and I unfortunately don't feel sympathetic to those who have been ripped off buying coins like this. They obviously have not studied coins and do not feel like doing research on what they're buying.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2010  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And they are really crappy fakes at that.He says he sells them for peoples' collections.Who would want one of those crappy things in an album?Geez.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2010  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cownas22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even with the word Replica throughout his listings I bet he still gets complatints from buyers that he sold them a fake.

If you are so un-knowledgeable about numismatics that you fall for this guys fakes you have no business buying coins in the first place.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2010  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least those look fake!
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2010  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add big777bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a link to an article on a Chinese counterfeit coin dealer. Look at the pictures of the dies used. There are Morgans, Indian cents, large cents ect. These counterfeit rings are doing irreparable damage to our hobby. Not to mention the legality issue. http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoin...eiting-Ring/

P.S. They also make fake PCGS and NGC holders!
Edited by big777bill
05/02/2010 07:26 am
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2010  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artyboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of them look pretty good... I'll admit to being tempted to get one just to fill the hole in my Dansco until I can afford the real deal. it does make me more wary about spending money on the "real" deal in the first place, though.

Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
535 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2010  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A person from China may not know the general low value of these in the United States, so in my opinion it is not fair to blast the seller.

The coins are clearly marked Replica, so the seller is doing nothing wrong. Anybody buying anything this seller offers in the belief that it is a valuable coin is obviously not a knowledgeable collector. There have been many threads in the past regarding these, and I unfortunately don't feel sympathetic to those who have been ripped off buying coins like this. They obviously have not studied coins and do not feel like doing research on what they're buying.

Don't let yourself being mislead.
You can ask him to leave away the word replica and he will most probably be happy to provide as many unmarked fakes as you want.
He has to mention it is a replica to prevent ebay from banning his auctions.
You will find these copies being sold on ebay on a regularly basis without the mention "Replica" or "Copy".
Pillar of the Community
United States
2539 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2010  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i can understand someone wanting to buy a repicla of an ultra rarity such as a 1913 liberty or something (like the electrotyping they used to do in the old days), but for more common coins the so called replica business is bad news and promotes wanton counterfiting.

-XoG
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2010  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
incredibly bad looking replica
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17265 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2010  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the postage and handling are FREE.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2010  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The return of Coincrazed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes me REAL mad! I absolutely LOVE Mercury dimes. It infuriates me that some fool would make fake ones. - coincrazed
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2010  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Saruma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On his feedback there are several comments saying the coin received was not marked as a replica, thereby making it a counterfeit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14830 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2010  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how many of the people leaving that feedback realize that THEY are the ones breaking the law and not the Chinese manufacturer.

Most of these manufacturers show marked pieces but ship the coins unmarked.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1658 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2010  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb8539 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy junk silver all the time. If I buy a roll of dimes for example, I'll usually just count the coins and make sure it is a full roll and all the edges look right (and obviously look for any overlooked key dates!). Then they get put away in my safe. I guess I'll have to start giving even common junk silver more scrutiny.

I used to think that only rare key dates were worth the time and trouble to counterfeit. Not so anymore...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05