Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

scanning coins  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2006  7:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add whisk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a trick to scanning coins. I am not having much luck. thanks, Whisk

I moved this to Coin Photography where it will get more exposure to the digital gurus in the group. - Fred
Edited by Morgan Fred
11/06/2006 7:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2006  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Fred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Whisk and welcome to the group! There is a lot of experience and expertise among the membership and everyone is willing to share it with all.

Given that scans of coins don't show a coin's luster as well as a digital photograph and scans tend to exaggerate a coin's imperfections while also presuming a suitable digital camera isn't available, there's a few tricks to scanning a coin. Not all of us are in full agreement with each other, so I'll just pass along my own preferences.

I prefer a dark (black) background for a coin scan since it minimizes unwanted reflection. A high resolution (600 dpi or higher) is desirable followed by use of an editing program (I use Graphic Converter, available for all platforms) to get an image's size down to uploadable size. I've also learned the hard way that a lesser expensive scanner with only 16-bit color will not produce the same quality images of a higher bit (32 or 48-bit). There also is a lack of depth of field, especially with encapsulated coins in a low-bit and less expensive scanner.

Take scans of coins in color (highest color settings possible), not greyscale. Also, some people tip a coin or slab up very slightly to gain depth of field. Some coins just will not scan well at all no matter what settings are used.

There's probably a lot more tips all of us can offer, but if you can give us specific questions or maybe an example, we can go from there.

All that said, a decent quality digital camera will out-perform a scanner any day, but of course, will cost more and will require a lot of practice to produce a good coin image.

Hope this gets you started.

Fred
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2078 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2006  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ageka to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said Fred
I can only do 300 dpi in true color
I use a blue background because blue violet is the complementary color
to yellow orange in the color wheel (used by painters and airbrushers)
I prefer to set my brightness and contrast level strait in the scanner during scanning instead of manupulating afterwards
I can select the field to be scanned and I put the selection square as small as possible around the coin so that the coin fills the complete scan
I position the coin in such a way that the light comes from above

The only thing I do afterwards is rotate the coin to vertical and crop to size and save as bitmap
From their I make a second file I jpeg for sharing on the web or in emails

Attached is something I did last week in ten minutes

Image: 100 ecu 1989 proof K Licht boven.jpg
47.35 KB

Pillar of the Community
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2006  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Becky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, some coins scan really well, just depends on the scanner. Try to keep the DPI up fairly high(above 400) and play around with the settings. Some scanners do a great job with copper and gold, but hardly ever with silver.

Here is a couple of examples, all scans....

Circulated silver doesn't scan too bad.....

But MS must reflect the light back too much......

Cameras are far better at depicting a coins true image, but scanners are way easier.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2078 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2006  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ageka to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somehow the color of that Vrenelli is off
My true color setting gives following scan for a 20 suisse frank

Image: 1947 Vrenelli AK 3.jpg
39.6 KB

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05