Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shipwreck coins from the "Admiral Gardner"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
265 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2008  6:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All, I hope this is the right thread for this post...
I just got back from a cruise which stopped in the Cayman's. There was an antique shop which had a numismatic section in the back mostly dealing in world coinage and currency and had some nice shipwreck coins including a lot from the Admiral Gardner which the attendant guranteed thrice over were authentic with a pamphlet on the wreck. These were copper coins from the East India Co., dated 1808, 10 cash. She also had a a little provenance behind her purchase of these coins at auction. The lot she had purchased were in good to almost uncirculated. She let me cherry pick and I picked up 4 of them for $36.00 US. They really are nice. Does anyone know anything more about these?.............thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2008  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure don't, dom, but would love to see pics of what you purchased.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2830 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2008  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"An East Indiaman was named after Admiral Gardner; it was wrecked on the Goodwin Sands, Jan 24, 1809. ..."
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_G...aron_Gardner
Peter
Learn More...
Australia
12916 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2008  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, the story's legit. The Admiral Gardner sank in the English Channel in 1809. In 1986, if I recall the story correctly, some barrels of copper coins were retrieved from the wreck site. The coins inside them were in the name of the East India Company's Madras Presidency and had been freshly minted in Britain and on their way to India aboard the ship when it went down. The barrels were sealed pretty tight, and many of the coins had suffered from only minimal corrosion, despite being made of pure copper.

The coins came onto the market back in the late 1980's, and have been floating around the dealers and collectors ever since. I think it's actually harder to find a Madras 1808 10 cash coin that wasn't salvaged off this wreck.

I've seen a couple, packaged up by a local dealer here in Oz at the time with a little certificate of authenticity and everything. I was a YN back then and recall that I couldn't afford to buy one from their mail-order catalogue they sent me.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2008  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks, really appreciate the info.......makes me feel better about the purch ASE
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2217 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2008  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisMattyUk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple of them in what look to be a little corroded states but with the emain details and most of the writing showing that I picked up for about 2-5 GBP each. Then I have a much nicer one, though it looks slightly scratchy, it has all clear details and a lot of lustre remaining - that one cost me 14-15 GBP on eBay (found all on eBay.com).
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2008  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SoulessAbyss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!!
I forgot I have one 10 Cash Coin, Dug it out to look at after seeing this post. I got back in 1998.
The detail is great.

Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2008  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sully to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just got back from a cruise in the eastern caribbean and picked one of these up(my brother-in-law did also). paid 25 dollars apiece for them. from the sound of it and the couple I saw on eBay we might of overpaid. they're cool nonetheless. got a little coa with it and a newspaper clipping from when it happened. the coins themselves or in great shape, a little dirty but still have great detail. we are both happy with them. picked them up in st. thomas.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2008  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vinsanity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a beautiful toned one. It looks very nice.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05