Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Does A Gold Coin Sound Like?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 11,341Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2011  9:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silverdollar2011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Of course, many people know that silver produces a high pitch sound when dropped on a hard solid surface such as marble or granite. But, what about gold? Is the sound more higher pitched, does it say GOLD! when dropped? I've been searching for videos on Youtube but didn't find a
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
1943 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2011  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every time I have seen a gold coin drop I just heard a loud yell. But I think that was just from me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3216 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2011  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold coins have the same ring, only st a higher pitch. If you want to hear the ring, don't drop it, just place it on the tip of your finger and LIGHTLY tap it with another coin. Practice with a silver dollar before trying a gold coin. Once you tap it, hold it near your ear. I love the ring of gold in the morning... it sounds like... victory.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20371 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2011  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not many answers since most people don't drop Gold Coins. However, you could do us all a favor and take a Gold Coin to the top of a tall building and drop it to the ground. Of course you would have to run down there to hear what it sounds like.
The important thing is what type of Gold are you discussing. Remember Gold could be 14k, 18k, etc. And then too there are those coins with a excessively fine layer of Gold on them. All such differences could make for different sounds.
Now the next question would be does a Gold coin bounce as high as a Silver one?
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18959 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2011  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pyrbob: Yes! That IS it! That IS the sound that a gold coin makes when it is dropped! Or maybe it IS the owner?

Either way, both become stressed, and are most probably bruised, at least around the periphery. Both the coin and the owner have a Moh's scale of hardness of below 6. Knocks quite a bit of value off both.
Edited by sel_69l
12/02/2011 11:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7344 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2011  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another easy way to hear a coin ring is just to spin it on top of glass/marble/etc. As it settles to a stop it rings. This might also save it from any potential damage from a drop.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2011  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't you think that weighing and measuring the coin will do the job instead of damaging the coin by dropping it.
The basic rule is "If you are unsure that the coin is genuine DON'T BUY IT".
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18959 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2011  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enough of my frivolity.

The way I normally check a coin for ring is to rest it on the tip of a finger. If you are worried about finger mark stains, wear thin gloves. Gently tap the coin on the rim with another coin. Compare ring tones with a suspect coin if this is part of your investigation. Do this, if you can, with coins to be tested, by resting them on adjacent fingers.

You also may wish to compare the ring tone with your mobile 'phone, but I suspect that they will be different.
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2011  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind, you can probably do this with silver without , but true gold coins are so soft they'll dent if you look at them wrong.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17480 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2011  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, you could do us all a favor and take a Gold Coin to the top of a tall building and drop it to the ground. Of course you would have to run down there to hear what it sounds like.

I've got a better idea. Carl you go up on a tall building and drop a gold coin off. I'll stay down at the bottom so I can hear it. When you come down I'll tell you what it sounded like.....if you can find me.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2011  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When a gold coin drops, an angel cries...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3216 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2011  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could go to a gold and silver dealer and ask him if he has a well worn Double Eagle that you could "test" with. Tell him you just want to hear what real gold should sound like when you're buying.

As long as he's not too busy and you don't look like you're trying to pull something, I would think he would understand.

DON'T ask him if you can try it on a mint state coin. Ask for a coin that's going to the refiner to be melted.

Most dealers want your business and if they think you may be buying from or selling coins to him they'll try to help you with questions like this.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2011  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been talking sweet nothings to my gold coins for years and have never heard them say a single thing in return ;-)
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nygold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold sounds very pricey, but this is also a very good option for Investment.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5020 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because it IS very pricey, and why buy at or near a peak?
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 11,341Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05