Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ATB Five Ounce Silver Coins

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 292
Pillar of the Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainkurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is also plenty of discussion about Congress/US Mint halting the Presidential dollar coin program....Each existing coin's mintage total wouldn't be affected by a cancellation of the series

This may not be true in the case of the Presidential dollars if cancelled. The government has a huge stockpile of the dollar coins which could be melted if the program is cancelled.

Note to self, talk to cladking regarding 'possible' upside to dollar coins future.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KuffMUp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new here. However, I think the OP had a great question. I don't know the answer however. But what I want to comment on is someone calling another a "wannabe collector". Shouldn't we all support each other's interests? It reminds me of ads in the various coin publications that cater to "serious collectors". To me that says they only want collectors with lots of $$$$$!

So what exactly is a "wannabe collector"? Someone who chooses to collect something you don't find worth while? I know that "collectors" are suppose to set out and "collect" a series. What that series is is totatlly up to their taste and disposable income.

I guess I fall into the "wannabe" category because I am known in the circle as an "accumulator". There, I said it. My name is Tami and I am an accumulator. I "accumulate" what appears nice to me. I have a huge World paper money "accumulation" because I collect, um sorry, "accumulate" notes based on farm scenes, animals, or certain rulers. I certainly will probably never acquire every single note from every country that has those attributes but it is eye pleasing to me. Well, OK, there are loads of other notes that appear pleasing to me that don't fall in those categories. I do have a few "collections" although all but one would probably get me tossed from the boards as too cheap - uh I mean inexpensive, to be called a real collection.

We should support each others habits, um I mean passions. I am employed in one of the most cynical professions in America and I still have good feelings about coin and currency collecting. Maybe it takes me back to looking at my grandma's collection of Confederate notes that my grandpa had since he was a kid in North Carolina. Or the birthday gift in July of that 1976 proof set.

We should help and support each other as well as the kids just new to collecting. OK, I will now step off the soapbox.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes for the mostpart posters do help and support others interests. Sometime in writing the meaning gets twisted or misunderstood. Your collection sounds interesting! Do you visit the countries or just buy it?
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VACookey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tami!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kuff Pretty much what I was saying. We dabble in foreign money, including paper, as well. Guess that makes us REALLY not real collectors eh? BTW, is the screen name because you are in law enforcement?

Fredd, as this is not a forum on geopolitics I am simply going to say I have been around the world, to many countries, Panama being one of them. Its third world.

As for whether these will only bring melt over the long haul...your opinion only. You have not given any comparable items to support your argument. Let me provide one to support mine.

I recently sold a 6.6 ounce .999 1996 Harley Davidson proof calendar medal. The price of silver was about the same as it is now. That makes that piece worth 215 melt value. This is NOT a coin. It has a very limited collector base. A lot more limited than there is for the ATB pucks. I sold it for 390. Probably should have asked more as it sold within 24 hours of listing.

So you are trying to tell me that coins from the US mint are going to have no real premium above melt, while something like that medal is going to hold an almost 100% premium? Yeah, not buying it dude.

As for making money for the government. Really? You are going to use THAT as an argument? Dude, EVERYTHING the mint makes for collectors is for profit. EVERYTHING. Mint sets, proof sets, all ASEs, even business strike uncirculated coins (ie rolls bought from the mint for more than face) all are to make profit.

So using that as a criteria, the only coins that we can collect are those for circulation. Otherwise its just there for the government to make money.

Sorry, but you areway off base here IMO.

Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tealc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of curiosity ( yes I am new LOL ) What happens to the profits that the Mint takes in?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure exactly but I do know the mint is profitable not like other govt areas
Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another reason why "serious collectors" don't like these coins or even consider them to be coins is there isn't (yet) a Series 7XXX Dansco album made for them. The slippery slope thinking goes, if there isn't a Dansco for the series, then it's not collectible. That having been said, I have enjoyed biggfredd's comments on various and sundry collecting topics, though I rarely agree with him. It's refreshing to have a diversity of viewpoints on a community bulletin board as CCF.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  01:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, KuffMUp!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
smokeriderdon-

Check the prices on the half/ounce gold medals made before the AGE.

I just read where it would cost $25,000 to buy one each of the mint's products this year. I've seen this happen in various collectables over the years, followed by a market crash.

I don't ask anyone to agree with me, but please, THINK. My opinions are based on 50+ years experience with a broad range of collectables, over half of that owning a full-time retail store.
Edited by biggfredd
12/07/2011 02:00 am
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mint profits go back into the general fund.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8782 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Kuff. I think more than a few of us here suffer from your "affliction". I must admit that I accumulate as well...and collecting makes me happy NOW, even if I'm full of shineola about the long-term prospects of collections (which no doubt I am).

Pillar of the Community
United States
1068 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for their input on my questions ( even Fredd )!
I was just curious about all of these things. I am just starting to learn about all of this stuff (probably 30 years too late). I've been collecting since I was a paperboy back in the 70s, not hard core or anything but if I saw an old coin or paper I would would keep it. Now I am buying more from the mint than the typical annual ASE and proof sets. I heard about all the excitement generated from the first ATBs and had to see what they were all about. I think these coins are beautiful ( same with the ASEs ) and I also like the fact that if they turn out to be a bust at least I can sell them for spot some day. And maybe if they are a bust they might actually be worth more in the future, time will tell on all of these questions. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought about these coins. So I don't know what kind of collector I am, but I will tell you that I am a collector and always will be....wannabe...shunnabe
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess time will tell. I didn't buy at the 279 price but did get all those at 229. I know still above spot but at least they will be always worth that. I too like the way they look. I was lucky to pick up a Yellowstone for 211 a few months ago. I did also get the Gettysburg for some Christmas gifts. One thing if you didn't get the proof 2010 5 coin NP quarter you should. The Mint still as them for 39 99 until the 30th of Dec. First 5 so we can all at least have the set from inception
Pillar of the Community
United States
1068 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the 2010 NP silver quarter set already from the yearly silver proof set and will also receive the standard set for Christmas. My Mother always buys all of the siblings a standard proof set each year for Christmas. She wants to know why the costs keep going up so much and I have to explain to her that you receive more than 5 or 6 coins these days. Now you have to have the NP quarters and Presidents coins.
Page: of 292 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05