Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ATB Five Ounce Silver Coins

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 292
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a thought for the difference in price between the clad and silver proof sets the silver I think is more worth it especially since the silver actual value makes them better for the cost. The silver value in the 2010 5 quarters is about $30 so the actual premium is about $10. Not sure of the clad actual cost but I think more than $11 25! (The $10 plus face of $1 25). Just my thoughts on the clad. We were buying clad for my grandson but decided that in the long run the silver would be much more valuable esp if prices rise. Just a thought and what we are doing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The clad 2010S set may prove to the bigger bargain in the long run if the ATBs are ever collected in a large scale way like the State Quarters were/are being collected today. It's also exactly half the price of the silver proof set, $31.95 versus $64.95. Just last year before the spike in silver the 2008S clad set cost $10-$20 more than the silver 2008S proof set, it probably had something to do with the mint's problems that year, both the mint and proof set prices rose sharply in the aftermarket. As a comparison, the 2010 silver quarters are right now at about 850K, which is right in between 1999 and 2001 proof silver quarters, and both of these years have a premium, although the 2001 has come down to earth recently. The 2010 clad quarters are at 1.375M, quite a far cry from the usual 2.5-3.5M clad proof output during the State Quarters run. Buying a few extra 2010S clad sets is probably a good idea, just in case, with first year of the ATB Quarters and the Shield Cent, while the silver dime, quarters and half dollar are best bought individually without the base metal coins at spot. If anyone is collecting the silver dime and/or half dollar, the 2010 mintages might just be lower than the 1995S. Just food for thought.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the silver proofs have the security of being a PM
Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps. As bullion, modern US silver proofs are not a good investment overall, in a down silver market they are invariably lumped with 90% circulated silver with the buy/sell spread is far greater than 10% either way due to the .900 finness. Stick with the ASE or .999 bullion bars and rounds if you buy PMs as an inflationary hedge.

I think you missed my point completely, which was from a numismatic price appreciation point of view, the clad proof sets are cheaper substantially than the silver proof set, and MAY appreciate substantially perhaps achieving 1:1 parity with the silver set, if and when the general collecting public gets wind of the lower distribution numbers as what happened to the 2008 proof sets. It's all in the numbers, my friend, and paying some careful scrutiny to the Mint weekly sales reports can yield some hefty dividends 3-5 years down the road.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes but no guarantee of appreciation and silver will. We all think differently on these things and if all goes bad the clad proofs will be worth face and the silver the Silver value and I just think for the difference in price the silver has more actual value. Only my thoughts. I guess you don't know future values in anything but silver is silver
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fredd, if you bought every last item, all 4 golds, however many platinums etc, yeah, I imagine it would be that much. Again, so? No one is suggesting that buying every last item the mint makes is a way to collect or make money. Again, this point means nothing to the subject at hand. And just for clarification, I base my opinions on 35 plus years experience with collectables such as coins, comics, cards, fossils etc.

As for the proof thing. If everything trends the same, then yes, the clads would bring in the greatestmargin of profit between the two. However, if the bottom drops out, the silver is going to be more valuable because it is indeed silver. It does have more intrinsic value. The simple thing is buy both.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Teach!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1068 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2011  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your responses and welcoming me to the forum, it has been very educational and fun!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1068 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2011  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is an article about this very subject on mintnewsblog that I just read and found interesting, check it out.

http://mintnewsblog.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14568 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2011  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Article basically just says that interest in the series has declined and sales have slowed.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2011  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainkurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wow! Mintages for the 5 oz coins has really gone down! I still feel that demand will rebound one day (or hope so).

BTW - the Hawaii quarter design looks horrible!
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2011  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Granite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the new designs for the 2012 ATB coins are great. I think the 5 oz series will be ok as long as they keep coming out with these beautiful depictions.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2011  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there's any potential in the pucks, it will be low mintage issues, provided the overall lows don't result in elimination of the program.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1068 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2011  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those were kind of my thoughts as well Fredd. I just saw the designs for the 2012 year, they are pretty nice. I don't expect to see these not to sell. We shall see
Pillar of the Community
United States
1068 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2011  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Article and pictures of the 2012 designs can be found here...

http://mintnewsblog.com/2011/12/201...ul-quarters/
Page: of 292 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 8.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05