Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ATB Five Ounce Silver Coins

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4,779 / Views: 343,213Next Topic
Page: of 319
Learn More...
United States
99407 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And that is officially it! My Tuskegee Airman ATB puck just arrived and, with that, I have completed the set:
Outstanding and congratulations!
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And that is officially it! My Tuskegee Airman ATB puck just arrived and, with that, I have completed the set:

That's kind of how I'm looking at this year's silver proof set. I'd rather just finish off the ATB set and be done with it than have to hunt around eBay which may be cherry picked.

I'll just cuss the mint under my breath, suck it up, and pay the highway robbery of the price and finish off the ATB set, then cancel my subscription for future silver proof sets.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10961 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Congrats, barryg! Looking forward to crossing this one (P-puck) off my list as well and closing a very long chapter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1245 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome work as always Barry! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to complete my set tomorrow at noon!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
195 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@barryg - I just perused your various sets via the hotlink in your auto signature. Absolutely beautiful, especially your Dansco 7070 and Proof Type Set! You should be VERY proud! Congrats too on completing your ATB Bullion set - over 11 years!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10961 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  02:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Less than an hour ago I received my subscription order confirmation for Tuskegee P-Puck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...and I just got my shipping notification.

What do you think will happen to the bullion & numismatic releases of this series? Will they be forgotten one day and all turn into bullion? It'll be interesting to see for sure what the future will bring.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bcuda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2021 Tuskegee P pucks are on back order already.
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And now it shows as unavailable.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10961 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My P-puck is supposed to be in my mailbox tomorrow.

Now... how to store/display. As of about 5 years ago I have removed all pucks from OGP (but kept them in OGP capsules) and stacked them in my safe. Doing so saves a LOT of room.

In my mind I really wanted to do something like this...

...but at this point I'm not sold about committing to the space requirements on it. It does look nice tho.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4805 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:12 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In my mind I really wanted to do something like this..

I actually have that exact same cabinet. I originally was buying a separate 5-puck display case each year, but after a few years I saw that cabinet for sale on APMEX and decided it was a better way to go as long as I was fully committed to getting the entire set.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1131 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why did the US Mint decide to mint 3" diameter, 5 ounce bullion coins instead of the more regular 1.598" diameter, 1 ounce coins?
Had the US Mint decided in favor of the latter, I might have considered collecting those. But now, I will only consider collecting Proof Silver Quarters (0.955") as I am not interested in having 280 ounces (!) of silver sitting in an album or display box.
Edited by NumisEd
04/10/2021 3:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10961 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I actually have that exact same cabinet. I originally was buying a separate 5-puck display case each year, but after a few years I saw that cabinet for sale on APMEX and decided it was a better way to go as long as I was fully committed to getting the entire set.

Excellent! Are you happy with it? Are the pucks in capsules or just friction-fitted raw into flocked holes as it appears in the photo I posted?

Quote:
Why did the US Mint decide to mint 3" diameter, 5 ounce bullion coins instead of the more regular 1.598" diameter, 1 ounce coins?

Why not?

Kidding aside, the immediate reason that comes to mind is marketing; pull more money out of their customers' pockets.

They actually bought specific presses for this application. I am surprised the only other item they have minted on these presses so far are the Apollo curved commemorative 5-oz cions. I don't know of any 3" products on the horizon... are these presses going into mothballs after 11 years?

Edited by CelticKnot
04/10/2021 9:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10961 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received my Tuskegee today. UPS driver handed it to mer personally (I drove into my driveway as he was walking to my door), which I thought a nice flourish for the end of the series.

Anyway, here is my Tuskegee along with the very first 2010 issue, Hot Springs.

It's been a fun journey.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1131 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And nobody feels collecting 5" oz silver bullion coins is the pinnacle of decadency?
Page: of 319 Previous TopicReplies: 4,779 / Views: 343,213Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05