Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ATB Five Ounce Silver Coins  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 286
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a fascinating topic: as long as you like the puck! I do, but don't have the means to get more than a few... Of course the gov't has made worse decisions than to stop this series, however when you consider the cost of setting up the special presses, etc., I think it will be a while before they quit. That said, they may of course stop the "-P" collector versions. As long as they keep the bullion version going, that would be o.k. with me, since I prefer the bullion to the "vapor blasted" finish. I think that would make what collectors are out there want to collect both versions, so it would still be a win-win. I see this set as a value alternative to a 1/10 oz gold coin. As such, my old eyes prefer to look at it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully they will continue. I have visited so many of the parks and now with silver going up and the 5oz price down a perfect time to support them and buy! It's probably the best deal on the Mint's site
Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least for this year they should continue, that Graëbener press coming all the way from Germany just to strike the 3" bronze medals would be a really expensive press. As mentioned before, the 2012 designs are all a cut above what the mint usually puts out, with the possible exception of Chaco Culture. Finally received my NP8 today, also looks like PBGS released NP9 this morning of the backorder status, so those should be shipping soon. No one seems to have received theirs yet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered mine from the mint and I received another backorder notice yesterday morning and a friend ordered 2 yesterday and was told they were still backorder. I did notice no lOnger said backorder last night so who knows
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I previously dismissed these as simply yet another overpriced gimmick (especially when the prices were higher), but I have to admit that the more I look at them the better they seem to me. I've started noticing the regular quarters in circulation and am floored by the quality of the designs. Absolutely beautiful coins! And with silver currently at $33/ounce and rising, the current price of $205 for five ounces of silver doesn't seem that unreasonable.

The problem, of course, is justifying the cost (to my wife as well as to myself). If I were to start getting these, I'd want to first get the complete 2010 set (which I can probably get on the secondary market for around $1300) and then the complete 2011 set (another $1025 or so from the mint). That's a lot to shell out right now, unless I can convince my wife that silver prices are about to go through the roof and that these really have good investment potential due to limited mintage. Somehow, I don't think that's gonna float, though...

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I never bought at 2?9. I was able to pick up Yellowstone for 210 at a local shop. I did get the last 2010 for 229 from the mint as well as up to glacier. Now I am buying olympic and vicksburg
Pillar of the Community
United States
1035 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My NP9 is said to be shipped on 2/6. Only ordered one this time. I finally got my first ATB 2010 quarter in change this week, it was a Grand Canyon. I have not seen any of the other parks in change yet. I live in Ohio.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked my order, NP9 shipped today, so I am psyched. Bring it on, NP10!

@Barryg: it was hard justifying these coins at $279 per. I think the Mint wants them to move now, so they might stay @ $204, regardless of where silver is. If that is true could be the best bargain from the Mint in a long time. Glad I started when I did, it would be daunting to shell out $2500 to start from the beginning. They are nice coins in hand with razor sharp details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I think my Vicksburg shipped as well. I don't check online however I have a memo to my cc that appeared today. Also, while the mint may not change price they cannot sell silver items when spot is greater than item silver content. I recall reading that back last year as the 2010 and 2011 silver proofs were suspended when silver value was greater than their cost. Just what I recall but there is more leeway to keep them out there at the current price and I hope they do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
w00t!

Had a little heart to heart with the wife and, as a result, we just bought all five 2010 bullion versions from Provident Metal for $1100. That was significantly cheaper than APMEX and eBay. They also have the 2011 issues for $189-$199 apiece, but I think I'm done for now...

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1751 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice pickup barry! I love those pucks and I'm happy owning all 9 of them I hope it continues to the end!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heh. My wife was very angry with me at the end of the year because of how much I spent on silver. At the same time, though, she was really impressed with the 25th Anniversary ASE set and told me to keep an eye on the mint for similar products that might have limited mintage and decent investment potential. After I purchased the complete set of 2010 pucks for $1100, I mentioned that the mint had lowered the prices of the 2011 pucks from $279 to $205 but the prices would likely go up soon now that silver was on it's way back up. I also happened to mention that buying directly from the mint meant getting the pucks in nice presentation cases with COAs, which would probably make them even more desirable to collectors...

And so, just before going to bed, we bought the first four 2011 pucks directly from the mint! We'll pick up the fifth one next month when it comes out...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's nice. Better to order them now while at 205 which isn't a bad price considering orig price and the fact that silver is rising
Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@barryg: nice pickup, especially the 2010 bullion at a slight premium over the AP's issue price. Now be careful not to get addicted, if that happens, have all four P-mints open in their nice black boxes in front of the Mrs. to remind her how incredible (& cheap) these 3" "quarters" are.

You are not kidding about OD'ing on silver last year. Last January, I started out with 0 coins/0 ounces in the 5 oz. size. Awkward size, never liked rounds in that weight, its either 10s or Kilos. Ended the year with 110 oz/22 coins, among other misc silver I bought during the year. From the announcement of the ATB National Park quarter series in '09, I found the proviso about the 3" silver coin most exhilarating. Finally! A series that I can work on from the ground floor/get-go that will, at the very least, retain its intrinsic value, yet have beautiful, inspiring designs that would hold its own enlarged 25x. Haven't yet been disappointed by any the coins yet, and this year, the designs are best of the lot by far. As simple as the frog and parrot design for El Yunque is, it will be an outstanding example of the bullion or uncirculated run, if it is made this year. Expect lower mintages for either format for this year's coins, perhaps 50,000 bullion/25,000 uncirculated per design. In any event, I still feel lucky from having bought into these early last year, it was crazy spending the money on these, but I feel that history's on my side, for once, numismatically speaking.

Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What Bizy said!
Page: of 286 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05