Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ATB Five Ounce Silver Coins  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 286
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wvparadox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
barryg-

Just wanted to let you know I checked out your AWESOME 7070 pics, Thanks for posting them. This inspires me to continue to work on my 7070 set, and I encourage everyone to check out this link.

(I've completed small cents-2 and 3 cents-half dimes- nickels-quarters-Commems and-page 5)

Sharing pics of our collections is one feature I really love about the CCF and am glad I joined.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  08:49 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you like it, wvparadox! It has truly been a labor of love for me, both assembling the collection in the first place and then photographing the coins and creating the website, so it's nice to be appreciated. I hope to keep upgrading the collection one coin at a time for years to come, so check back every once in a while!

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wvparadox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way Barry, I use my Brother P touch home and hobby label maker with black lettering on clear tape, smallest font size, to make labels that almost match the Dansco lettering. Dansco makes dry date transfer sheets, but these just have dates, as far as I know.

This works great to update Dansco pages that need yearly updates like ASE's, cents, nickles, dimes, Kennedys,and for customizing blank extra pages etc.

I used it to add "no motto" and "motto" labels to the liberty Seated dollar slots, and "lettered edge" to the turban head half slot, and "No motto" "arrows" and "motto" to the liberty seated half slots, just to keep me organized and using nomenclature I was more familiar with.

Of course, most of those slots are still MT
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  11:49 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the topic at hand...

Now that I have (as usual) jumped in feet first without looking and purchased a bunch of these, I now have to ask what the heck I've actually bought.

The ones I bought from the mint are called "America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin Series." They come with a neat box and COA and, according to the description, are "special collector versions of coins issued through the United States Mint America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coin Program." These are the only ones I see available from the Mint, however -- nowhere do I see any for sale that are actually described as part of the aforementioned "United States Mint America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coin Program."

The ones I bought from Provident Metals were listed as "Silver America the Beautiful 5 Coin Set | BU" and don't come with the special box or COA. I'm guessing these are "bullion" coins and not the "special collector versions" available from the mint, despite the fact that they are described as being in Brilliant Uncirculated condition. If this is the case, where did the dealers get them?

I've also heard mention of special "collectors" versions that have some sort of blast white matte finish. I didn't see anything like that on the mint site and am wondering where you get them from (I also didn't see them available from Provident Metals).

From a pure silver standpoint, I'm assuming they are all worth the same. I'm also assuming the ones from the mint and the ones with the special finish have some extra value to collectors. Do the ones I got from Provident have any value above melt whatsoever from a collecting standpoint? Or are they the equivalent of bog standard bullion ASE coins compared to the proof versions?

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes from a silver only they are worth the same as will any PM for the most part. I know my Vicksburg were shipped on Fri due tomorrow. To be hohest I don't notice much difference in the bullion and uncirculated. I didn't but unc versions for the first 4 since the price was too high but I do have a Yellowstone bullion that I bought from a local dealer. Not that much difference to me but that one is in a slab so I don't know what if anything is done to enc ASE
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Barry. This is the description given on the Mints site under the individual coin description...

"These striking numismatic collectibles are produced with an uncirculated finish and display a "P" mint mark for the United States Mint at Philadelphia, where they are struck. The coins are encapsulated, set in a protective outer box, and accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity. These coins are produced in limited quantities."
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I read that as well. What confuses me is that the ones I bought from Provident Metal are also described as "an EXTREMELY LIMITED mintage." So maybe the ones I'm getting from them are actually the "uncirculated" and not the "bullion" versions after all?

I'd still like to know where the ones with the special finish come from...

Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@barryg: there is a world of difference between the bullion and the collector issues of the 5oz. ATB coins. The bullion issues have no mintmark, are struck twice to bring up the relief details, and are in a PL or DPL finish. They are sold by the Mint to APs in monster boxes of 500 coins minimum. Sold at spot + $9.75 per coin markup, which the AP dealers then sells to the general public with a $19-25 premium over spot. These coins are much, much brighter than the collector versions.

The uncirculated collector coins have a mintmark, and have a vapor blasted finish for a uniform matte proof look. These coins are sold directly by the Mint to the collecting public, and resemble large silver medallions than anything else. The best analogy I could supply is like comparing apples and oranges between the two types. They are simply two different finishes of the coin type. Some collectors choose one over the other due to cost, while others collect both, yours truly included. 

As far as mintages go, these are issued in limited press runs, but the numbers mean diddly squat, if the demand is not there for these coins. For the 2010 coins, the Mint made 27,000 uncirculated and 33,000 bullion coins of each design. For 2011, the numbers are 35,000 uncirculated and a range of 126,500 to 33,800 bullion coins were made of each design. 

These large coins have sold via word of mouth and through articles in the trade press. I have yet to see any marketing pieces from the Mint pushing these coins. They have never featured them in any advertisements or in any of their gift catalogues, so the general public has no idea these exist, and coupled with the fact most people have never seen a National Park quarter either. Their day will come, and someday these will be a future generation's Saints.  
Edited by Bizybackson
01/30/2012 12:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Bizybackson!

So, the ones I just ordered from the mint will have the vapor blasted finish? If so, I guess there are only two types after all and not three.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, barryg. The Mint collector coins will have the vapor blasted finish, which gives the coin an uniform look and removes most imperfections from the minting process, whereas the bullion coins will show imperfections and mint bloom from slightly worn dies as more coins are issued from the same die pair. Only the first few strikes of any given die pair will have true DMPL surfaces, and when found can be really breathtaking. Enjoy your new acquisitions!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I plan to, thanks! I may regret down the road not having all the same type in my collection, but I suspect I will enjoy having both types just for the sake of comparison.

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are sold by the Mint to APs in monster boxes of 500 coins minimum.

Do you mean 500 oz? 500 coins would be over 170#.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  08:51 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
biggfredd:

The following is from the Mint regarding the purchase of America the Beautiful 5 ounce bullion coins by "Authorized Purchasers":

Quote:
The America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins are sold in bulk quantities to business firms approved by the United States Mint which have met the qualifying criteria discussed in Section V below. Approved firms can purchase these coins in the following quantities:

* A minimum of 10,000 ounces (2,000 coins) of silver. Purchases above the minimum must be in 500-ounce (100-coin) increments, the standard packaged quantity.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barryg, I think you will be happy to just have the coins! The Vicksburg should be here today. Christmas presents for My husband and grandson since they received Gettysburg for this past year. I got the Olympic for my 2 kids since they both were there on a cross country trip in 1989
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are right, angel2004!

Page: of 286 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05