Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ATB Five Ounce Silver Coins

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 292
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can use a little break so hopefully there will be a few weeks of silence..
But yeah, I'll get both 2012 eagles and the silver set once it's released.
And all the pucks I can afford..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4521 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I find interesting is that the legislation that authorized these coins (Public Law 110-456: America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008) has the following to say about when the bullion coins need to be produced:

Quote:
AVAILABILITY FOR SALE- Bullion coins minted under paragraph (1)--

(A) shall become available for sale no sooner than the first day of the calendar year in which the circulating quarter dollar of which such bullion coin is a duplicate is issued; and

(B) may only be available for sale during the year in which such circulating quarter dollar is issued.

So why is it the last of the 2011 coins (Chickasaw) wasn't available for sale until February of 2012?

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weird. I had read that they couldn't be struck in a year other than what is stamped on them. They are still selling 2011 proofs as well. The 2010 silver were available til the end of Dec 2011 so who knows. I'm glad they are still available since I couldn't buy all I need for presents
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you said

Quote:
Once bullion collectors know about the changing in design of this series they will adopt and switch over from ASE

Are you meaning that they have 5 designs per year than the same ASE design every year?

This is going on the 3rd year, so I would think they would have realized that a very long time ago that there are so many different designs.

Or are you talking about something else?

And about comparing the premium on each.

If silver is at $33 per ounce, the 5 oz has $165 of silver, but they are selling for $204.95 (plus $4.95 per order).

An ASE bullion is just $43 (including shipping) or so, so if you buy 5 ASEs, that comes out to $215.

The 5 oz are a little cheaper, but might be harder to sell as opposed to 5 ASEs?

It has been a few years, since I bought any ASEs, but I always thought they were a lot closer to the price of silver and didn't have such a high premium? When did this start?
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ barryg I believe that since they just started punching the pucks in 2011, that they have been going crazy
trying to punch 2010's and 2011's to catch up. Looking at my order history I ordered NP1 4/29/11, that's 10 in less then a year. I'm thinking it will slow down a bit now since they seemed to be caught up.. Or I could be totally wrong.

Angel, I think the collect-able coins can be purchased till they are sold out. Circulating coins can only be sold the year they are minted..
Least that's how I understand it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. That makes sense
Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@barryg: the collectible NPx coins are NOT considered bullion by the US Mint, though to many PM stackers, they are only bullion. Thus, by that designation, the 2011 designs can be sold the following year into 2012 and even into 2013 until the entire mintage is sold out. The bullion coins SHOULD terminate sales to APs on Dec. 31st, but if the Mint still has inventory they will continue to sell the prior year dated coins in January. They have a historical precedent for this when they sold 2010 ASEs in January 2011. With the 5oz coins, the Mint has indeed sold additional 2011 coins this past January. I'm guessing the costs to scrap and refine the metal is not cost effective, and the metal is considered bullion anyway, the design and the date is largely irrevelent to such continued bullion sales.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1067 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you guys think about the new designs?

http://mintnewsblog.com/2012/02/sec...ter-designs/

I am from Ohio, I kind of like OH - 4 and then maybe OH - 8 secondly.
As far as MAryland is concerned I kind of like MD - 3 and then MD -1.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2712 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I mean the 5 design/yrs vs the same design of ASE for the last 25+ yrs. It's true that the ATB 5oz had come out over 2yrs; however, there are not much marketing going on. If you recall the marketing of the State Quarter program back in 1999, the marketing of the ATB program is miniscule. Many smaller bullion dealers don't have the ATB; point of reference, go to your next local coin show and check those dealers' cases.

When I talk about the premium, I did mentioned the bullion version, which is around $190+/- w/o shipping, not $205 from the Mint. You can check the price on APMEX.com and providentmetals.com and the price for a 5oz since price of silver change

ATB bullion is about $200 shipped (or a bit less), which make it about $40/oz; if you buy in quantities and pay in cash/check then it can come down to about $37/oz. Similarly, if you buy individual ASE then it's in the range of $40+/- per coin but if you buy them in tube of 20 then it's about $37+/- per coin.

Regarding selling them at a latter date: True, it's probably harder to sell a 5oz than 5 ASE since more people can buy from you at 1oz each. ASE also more popular. The group that buy the 5oz ( ATB or other countries' minted coins) is always lesser than the group that buy 1oz. I guess the 5oz coin is more fit for those wanting to get 20+ oz of silver/year (ie: those with higher budget for silver).

'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Edited by SA4H
02/23/2012 5:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pucks are suspended so the $204.95 pricing at the mint is history for now. If you waited, you missed your opportunity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was holding off from buying since I was not going to be home a few days and didn't want to miss delivery. Today I found out that the mint will delay shipment for 2 weeks ! Anyway when I called this morning they were just suspended! Oh well. At least I was able to pick up a few for 204 95 of the others. Yes I posted on another thread that the coin was probably the best deal out there. But gone now
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked the Mints site and they finally put a product schedule and the 5 oz 2012 coins are not included and it is through May
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8778 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two things here in my opinion:

1. The current price of silver at $35+ is causing a repricing. They dropped the price to 205 when silver was around 30/oz. The mint already spent a lot of money producing these things, so they're probably going to continue to try to sell them.
2. the mint has historically not well-represented its product schedule. Last year was an anomaly. I expect the pucks to continue at least through the 2011 issues.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you mean 2012 or just what's left of the 2011?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8778 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I meant 2011 when I typed it but just realized that all the 2011s are out there for sale.

With that knowledge, I am 50/50 on whether we'll see the 2012s. I really hope we do though, some of those designs are pretty slick and would look great on the big format.
Page: of 292 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05