Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Clipped" Planchet Errors => Valuable?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 15,040Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
Canada
9591 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2014  09:39 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some collectors, like Scissel here, not only collect date sets, but also collect "around the clock" clips from single years... his animated GIFs that show these are pretty cool!!
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
9591 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2014  09:47 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice pair! How did they determine it's a 1982 planchet?

Separated, you are correct... it is an unstruck coin of nickel composition, from any given year. But they were submitted together to PCGS with a long explanation.

They both came from separate paper-wrapped Constitution dollar rolls. That does not necessarily prove anything, but with nickel dollars, the blanking strip is only wide enough to punch four blanks at a time. That means there could be four (or less) possible triple clipped blanks with the clips in the same spot, which one would assume would be all struck - the odds of finding a triple-clipped blank with the exact match of the struck coin was enough for PCGS to come to the same conclusion as me...

Individually, they are not worth much to an error collector - together, this is one of my favourite errors in my entire collection...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
09/02/2014 11:09 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8342 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2014  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the explanation. Now that we have the whole story they seem like an even more impressive pair.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2014  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collectorofthings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you think of these coins with clips? What should I do with them?

Learn More...
Canada
9591 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2014  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep them. Looooooove them...

2fEWAc85ed8

My eBay store
Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2014  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collectorofthings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right now they are just loose coins, how should I package them? cardboard 2x2's? quantum 2x2's? ideas?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
796 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2014  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cardboard 2x2's are fine. I like to use 1 size too big so it is easier to examine the edge of the clip. Nice double clipped 1980 one cent!. What year is the 10 cent? I can't tell from the pic.

And WELCOME!!
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2014  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice story SPP, really interesting, I have always wanted to find or get hold of a coin with two errors!
Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2014  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collectorofthings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins are as follows:
1980 1 cent - double clip
1976 5 cent
1975 10 cent
1974 25 cent

Thanks for the tip of the 2x2. I'll do that.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9352 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RollinCoins
Have asked this be moved to the appropriate Forum, this is the Canadian Coin Forum.
Not exactly sure where you are seeing a clip.

Thread has been moved to US Forum
Edited by JimmyD
03/01/2021 10:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2564 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
additional value/premium depends on the coin's rarity/mintage as well as size of the clip

ie, clip cent with a mintage in the 100 millions vs clipped colonial with a mintage under 250,000

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18337 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We talk about 'planchet' clips, but almost all of the genuine examples are blank clips.
It seems very improbable to my mind, that a planchet would be clipped after the blanking process.

Be careful, and always check that the coin itself has not been clipped post mint, (and thus is a fake), so called 'planchet clip'.
Strictly speaking, genuine clip errors should be more accurately called 'blank clips'.
The Blakesley Effect can almost always be seen on coins have have been clipped during the blanking process, and thus is a good diagnostic for an error clip coin, to help distinguish a fake clip from a genuine clip error.

Very minor clips do not add much extra value, but nevertheless are always very collectible. Unfortunately with very minor clip coins, the Blakesley Effect is not always apparent, even for genuine clip errors.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 15,040Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05