Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Noodling Find Of The Week?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 999 / Views: 140,763Next Topic
Page: of 67
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which bank did you get them from?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1005 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like your thinking enworb!
However, given he is in Melbourne (from his profile), I dont think the answer will help you or me!
:)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
869 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only hint(s) you get is they were from an ANZ bank in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5289 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2012  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I came across a container of coins marked ‘errors' that I couldn't remember anything about, so checked them all and sure enough they were all errors, mostly just cuds and a couple small die cracks, and a nice $2 Rim Cud.

But I did re-discover 2 interesting coins, a 1979 5c with fairly severe lam Peel and a 1988 $2 that I don't know how to describe, possibly strike through.

1979 5c Lam Peel - there are chunks missing all over the place:

The Obv of this 1988 $2 shows no evidence of this being PMD, that is the Rev being hit hard enough to create these two craters. If it is a strike through, it's the weirdest one I can recall seeing.

If you have any plausible theory as to what caused this, feel free to voice it.

life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Edited by Nevol
04/29/2012 6:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1005 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2012  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nancy,
The placement of tbe damage seems deliberate.
The odds that 2 separate lots of unusual damage both happen with perfect placement to remove the features on the face seem remote.
This reminds me of the pic someone posted, where just the eyes had been centre punched.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
515 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2012  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the-purple-penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ta da, here's my "hotkoori"
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2012  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love it!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1005 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2012  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the one I was thinking of.
Thanks TPP.
Do you think your one was punched, or drilled and does it show any signs on the other side?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
515 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2012  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the-purple-penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no evidence on the obverse apart from wear but I don't have any doubts that it was punched. It's right here blu-tak'd to my monitor!
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5289 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2012  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My immediate thought when I found it was PMD, I just couldn't figure out how it was done.

Both PPH's coin and mine look like they've had the damage 'burned' into them. I've zoomed in on the craters with the scope, but nothing else really shows up. I'll see if I can measure the depth of the craters using calipers tomorrow.

I wonder if using some sort of welder would be capable of leaving this effect? Maybe even the tip of a small screwdriver heated to red hot and applied like a branding iron?

Anyone with some knowledge of how the metal in a $2 coin would react to this kind of treatment?

It ticks me off that I can't even remember where or when I got the darn thing either.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Edited by Nevol
04/30/2012 06:38 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
507 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2012  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's got hammered screwdriver written all over it in my mind - ymmv... love the tatt'd sunnies wearer on your coins purple-penny lol
Edited by FNQ
04/30/2012 06:44 am
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2012  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray Charles before he went to the barber.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
652 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My "find of the week" comes out of an Armaguard roll.
I opened a roll of $1 coins last night.
There was a silver "impostor" amongst the golden colored stack. It turned out to be a very handsome "Mississippi - the Magnolia State" commemorative US quarter dollar .
I have attached an image of this lovely coin. Against a 1985 1 dollar coin - also in superior condition - as noodled from the same roll.
I cannot believe that this coin could be sorted in with our 1 dollar coins. Because it has less weight and is also thinner than our 1 dollar coins (see second image below). So, Armaguard rolls are full of surprises

Squire

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1005 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also found that chubb do not seem all that particular about what goes in the rolls they produce.
I have found a round NZ 50c and a 1966 round 50c as well as bent coins.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1295 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2012  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nancy, I think the flat spots on the Queen's portrait of that $2 are a sign that it was punched. I've just performed an experiment with a hammer, a $2 coin, an old screw driver, a hammer and a lump of wood and the result was something that looked very much like yours.
Page: of 67 Previous TopicReplies: 999 / Views: 140,763Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: