Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Else Do You Collect?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 450 / Views: 61,957Next Topic
Page: of 30
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto: my son has a 5" reflector. We've done a little star gazing now and then. It was cool to see the moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn from our backyard.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1852 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing Saturn for the first time is one of the highlights of using a scope :)

My favorite is looking at different color double stars. Albireo is the coolest but there are many pretty ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be cool. There was something about Jupiter's moons all perfectly lined up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1852 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This took about 2 years to take :)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8357 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice hfjacinto! I've got some pretty serious scopes myself - 20" Planewave on LS500, 16" ASA Astrograph on Paramount ME II, Takahashi-TOA150F on Paramount ME, a couple FSQ-106 and an old FC76, Celestron C-11 and a few others, plus an older MI-250, Losmandy GM-8G and a SB MYT mount. Somewhere on here at CCF I posted this photo when I first joined up posted in February, 2012. That's the portable rigs pre MYT mount at Big Bend, TX.

I used to do astro, too, before I got too old haul around the heavy mounts, etc. I mainly used a DSLR and camera lenses, with telescopes only for the autoguider.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3383 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, there are also folks who "collect" travel destinations like National Parks, continents, etc.

I don't have an actual list like I do for coins ... But we never mind notching a new one (though we're not as adventurous as my kids are).

I have to admit, though, that you guys rock with astronomy!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6794 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  03:04 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing photo, hfjacinto!

I'm pleased because I've just filled in a gap in my collection of diecast model buses. It's quite a rare model that came out in 2001, long before I started collecting. Although the bus is lettered for Southdown, this particular vehicle was sold in 1971 to my local operator, East Kent, and I almost certainly travelled on it as a kid!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1852 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numisrob

That model is cool!! Great job in finding one. Condition looks good.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6794 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, hfjacinto! Yes, it's in great condition.

I posted some photos of my collection earlier.

When I started collecting these, I decided to limit my collection to buses that actually operated in my home county of Kent. I do however keep a few 'foreign' vehicles on the bottom shelf of my cabinet, including a yellow US school bus and a GM New Look - the bus driven by Sandra Bullock in the film 'Speed'.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1852 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7244 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  01:24 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob,

Not sure if they make any buses that ran in your area (guessing not being they are in Canada) but have you seen the Rapido "new look" bus model? Holy cow I was impressed with it when they came out. THe owner bought a real bus first, and being a modeler and having a company that sells model trains, he tends to do things in a big way, his thing is VIA trains in Canada, so he built a full size VIA car in his basement to start. There are some great videos of the both that and his bus builds at his website. https://rapidotrains.com/products/h...new-look-bus Check out the special painting he had commissioned too. The models are so amazingly detailed, lighted and gorgeous, I've thought about getting one and I don't collect anything bus related!

One of my good friends is bus crazy and just got his commercial license. He is now living his dream of driving one full time (for now) in Las Vegas. He gave up another job to go after that gig, I don't get it but hey we all got our quirks. LOL

Can't not share Jason's VIA train car in his basement, it's too cool! I also think what he says at the very end applies to most of us coin collectors too...
YjMnWdIWjWs
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
03/06/2020 01:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6794 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  03:14 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! That's amazing!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
776 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2020  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps - British Commonwealth, Pacific New Zealand and so much more

Prince - Music, books and ephemera

Old records (78s and 45s)

Books per se.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1617 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The diversity of collectors' interests being shown here never ceases to amaze and inspire.

Be careful what you toss into the trash, folks.
We have yet to know for sure what tomorrow's treasures will look like.
Odds are it will be something in common usage that few thought worthy of preserving at the time.

Here is the latest addition to my ever expanding enamel license plate collection.
It's a second issue; the nicest example I have seen on ebay in almost a quarter century of watching that site like a hungry hawk.
Try to imagine how many of these lovely, fragile tags one could have rescued from junkpiles in the early years of the last century.
Plates, unlike coins, were never meant to be saved. That many were, plus the fact that they were scattered far and wide, just makes the hunt more exciting.

Best wishes to everyone during these troubled times. Stay safe.

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
15213 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Best wishes to everyone during these troubled times. Stay safe.

Page: of 30 Previous TopicReplies: 450 / Views: 61,957Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05